PDA

View Full Version : IE 6 & below... Worth discussing anymore?

johnMoss
02-19-2011, 05:13 AM
I spent some time today (but not much) cruising the web in search of user statistics availability to possibly determine what percentage of the public might still be using antiquated versions of IE. One might reasonably assume Microsoft is tracking this. I'm currently about halfway through the 'missing manual' series for dreamweaver & css (CS4 releases) and I'm pretty much skipping through the <= IE 6 hacks & discussion.
Answwer sought is
1) good idea
2) bad idea
3) who cares?

In excelsius my assumption is 90% or greater of a client potential customer base has moved on...

thoughts?

Corrosive
02-19-2011, 07:28 AM
Visits to Yoto in the last 3 months from IE6 are 10.67% so that would bear out your theory that 90% of users have indeed moved on.

gentleone
02-19-2011, 01:04 PM
It really depends on the statistics of the site you're going to do a re-design for. If this is still very high, then you'll have to support IE6. Or if you have to build a site for a company that runs their web apps still on IE6, then it's also wise to support IE6.

Other then that... forget about IE6.

johnMoss
02-19-2011, 01:16 PM
When you say stats, where is the data being culled from? Google analytics for example, is that part of a data set they are tracking?

gentleone
02-19-2011, 02:48 PM
When you say stats, where is the data being culled from? Google analytics for example, is that part of a data set they are tracking?
It could be Google Analytics or a standard stats software provided by their webhost. On my server I have AWstats for instance.

DWcourse
02-19-2011, 09:00 PM
Everything I see indicates that we're now to about 5% with IE6 but whether it's 5 or 10% I try to make sure my sites are useable with IE6 but I don't spend time fixing cosmetic problems for IE6 (transparent png displaying improperly, margin issues, etc.).

johnMoss
02-19-2011, 09:09 PM
All good to know... My main concern is spending (billable) time on compliance for users who would very likely not fall into a customer demographic for a given client. I've only touched the tip of the iceberg with javascript & I get the impression nominal JS hacks do general purpose wonders on a variety of bugs IE 6 & below..

edbr
02-21-2011, 12:20 AM
i agree it is at least based on market, If the use of IE^ is from corparate use, and your market is not specifically for them, tough, you could always add a you are using ie6 time to upgrade. but generally its time to move on. In Asia in particular IE6 is a statistic from the high use of 'cracked' XP users, and even this i beleive will dropp as Windows 7 becomes more available, added with the fact that windows has issued w7 at a special price for developing countries

johnMoss
02-21-2011, 01:57 AM
you could always add a you are using ie6 time to upgrade
Do you have a favored detector? There seem to be a bunch. I gather a javascript approach to this is best?

Gotta ask... What is the nature of the relationship between IE 6 & pirated XP?

DWcourse
02-21-2011, 02:01 AM
Gotta ask... What is the nature of the relationship between IE 6 & pirated XP?
IE6 shipped with XP so most of those folks with cracked copies would have it.

edbr
02-21-2011, 02:18 AM
yes you could use javascript, i seem to remember Ricky 555 posted one not so long ago,

johnMoss
02-21-2011, 02:20 AM
And how I loved XP.... My relationship is shattered... shattered I say...

edbr
02-21-2011, 02:24 AM
yes and im still not totally convinced on windows 7. i will not update the rest of my office computers from xp , not yet at least

edbr
02-21-2011, 04:17 AM
a touch off topic but i just read this on sitepoint

Trident is the most widely-used layout engine on the planet. It has served Microsoft and our users for over a decade. However, we recognize that our biennial release schedule is too slow for the modern Internet age. Therefore, IE9 will be the last version of our browser to use Trident. Internet Explorer 10 will be based on the Lynx layout engine.

johnMoss
02-21-2011, 04:36 AM
I have to admit I've been happy with WIN 7...
Internet Explorer 10 will be based on the Lynx layout engine.
Cannot help but smell an Outlook Express bug in the making...

edbr
02-21-2011, 05:21 AM
I have to admit I've been happy with WIN 7...
ive had a few too many crashes

Cannot help but smell an Outlook Express bug in the making...
something will fall off i bet, actually i thought Lynx was a text browser s i wonder ..

johnMoss
02-21-2011, 12:19 PM
ive had a few too many crashes

Far be it from me to be asking you this, but are you sure those crashes aren't heat related? I keep taking computers down to Vallarta and that tropical environment (+kids) is murder on them...

domedia
02-21-2011, 01:07 PM
In excelsius my assumption is 90% or greater of a client potential customer base has moved on...

It really depends on the statistics of the site you're going to do a re-design for.

Like Gentleone was mentioned, the only stats that are important, is the actual stats for the website in question. All other stats are irrelevant, they don't pertain to your website.

Your web host should have given you access to 'something' that reads the server logs. If not, then Google Analytics would be the second hand choice. But your host really should have this data available for you.

johnMoss
02-21-2011, 01:46 PM
I'll have to read up on web host stats. I use NS so one can certainly assume that functionality is there. The general summary I've garnered through this discussion is keep at least half of your bases covered... Very good to know...

domedia
02-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Reading back what I wrote this morning, I have no idea what 'second hand choice' is..

Should have been 'second choice'. Sometimes I wonder why people let me write English ;-)

johnMoss
02-21-2011, 07:37 PM
so people with grossly inferior skill sets like me will feel better about themselves...

edbr
02-22-2011, 02:51 AM
Far be it from me to be asking you this, but are you sure those crashes aren't heat related? I keep taking computers down to Vallarta and that tropical environment (+kids) is murder on them...
no sensible suggestion , but dont think so , in aircon during work though. i will upgrade RAM may be as simple as that , its a new pc so i havent even given it a well aimed kick (yet).