PDA

View Full Version : Transitions without flash ?

Chapo
02-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Ok... is there a way to do a simple image transition without the use of flash ?

Im creating a header that changes images with buttons, i want the transition to be a simple fade, but dont want to use flash for this, is there a other way ?

edbr
02-18-2011, 11:48 PM
I would look at jquery, many galleries use thumbnails, so you could substitute for a button image.

johnMoss
02-19-2011, 04:40 AM
Another way is the use of antsoft products... SWF slide for example... It's still a flash file but super easy to create...

DWcourse
02-19-2011, 04:59 AM
maybe something like http://webdeveloperplus.com/jquery/featured-content-slider-using-jquery-ui/

domedia
02-21-2011, 12:50 PM
I've started using the jQuery Nivo Slider.
http://nivo.dev7studios.com/

Chapo
02-21-2011, 07:53 PM
Thats a very nice slider Domedia...

Is there a prefference on use when creating a header with transitions, do you preffer flash or jquery ?

Which will be the best practice ?

DWcourse
02-21-2011, 07:54 PM
I'd recommend jQuery, more universal, no plugin and (probably) smaller in size

Chapo
02-21-2011, 09:12 PM
That was also a concern of me, the file size and the pluggin. The only issue that maybe Jquery could have is that does not work with older browsers.

Ricky55
02-21-2011, 10:31 PM
That's not really much of a concern Chapo. jQuery plays well cross browser that's why its so popular. Nivo the slider that Dom mentions supports everything apart from IE 6.

I don't support IE 6 any longer. I know some have a different view and it depends on your client and their target market etc but I choose not to. I do have on my quotes a disclaimer that states this. I will support it only at the clients request for additional cost.

Its just so messy png fixes, css hacks its a crap browser and the sooner its totally out of the picture the better. I know you can use conditionals but you still have to jump through hoops.

Chapo
02-22-2011, 01:09 AM
Thats nice to know, you support clients request for additional cost.. hehe... I will give it a try to JQuery for my header and give a rest to flash for a while so i can try something new and see how it works.... Thanx

domedia
02-22-2011, 04:48 PM
I think you might have misunderstood the whole point of JS frameworks :)
It's proven code working in multiple browsers, and that it saves you time, and that it makes things simple, that files are smaller, and bug tested etc.

Chapo
02-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Thanx Domedia, sorry for my dumbness, sometimes i learn this things here at the forum, i will give it try ad at the same time learn something new.

One more thing... JS Frameworks, what this is exactly, it envolves JQuery or other things ?

domedia
02-23-2011, 01:18 PM
jQuery is a Javascript framework. As is Prototype, Mootools etc.

Was that your question, or are you asking what 'Javascript frameworks' are?
A JavaScript library is a library of pre-written JavaScript controls which allow for easier development of JavaScript-based applications, especially for AJAX and other web-centric technologies.

Chapo
02-23-2011, 01:40 PM
Thanx....now lets give it a try.