PDA

View Full Version : Image map isn't working

Bill Pitts
02-18-2011, 05:57 AM
Hello everyone,
I've been using Dreamweaver for many years now and have had great success with image maps. However, I haven't used this feature for quite a while and tried again tonight to use the polygon tool for an irregularly shaped hotspot.

I'm adding a map of my state that I've divided up into five different colored areas along county lines, so it is quite irregular.

As I said, I've had good results previously, but now when I select the image, name the map, click on the polygon tool, and start clicking to establish the shape of the hotspot the program only adds one square handle. If I try to add any more, it doesn't work. The image is deselected and I'm back where I started.

The rectangle and circle tools behave as they should. Am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks,
Bill

johnMoss
02-19-2011, 07:45 PM
How is the image's alignment set? If not default, then choose default, do your edit, & return it to the desired state.

I got this from the following, and they have other possible's as well...

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/85671

Bill Pitts
02-19-2011, 09:08 PM
Thanks, John!

I took a look at your link to Image Map Bug in Dreamweaver CS4. Although I'm using CS2, the solution worked like a charm!

My image alignment is set to default but the image is inside a div. I noticed references to both in the other posts included in your link above.

I'm thinking now that I was having success with Image Maps in GoLive, which I was using "for many years" prior to switching to Dreamweaver.

Again, thanks! This map will be appearing later (perhaps I'll finish it in time to post it in March) on our online magazine, The New Southern View Ezine (http://www.newsouthernview.com). Hope you can stop by and see it.

Bill

johnMoss
02-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Will do, glad to help...

Bill Pitts
02-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Thought I'd share this with everyone.

I duplicated the page where I was having the problem so as not to screw up my original layout, and started experimenting with the copy.

I left the image inside of a div and was able to draw polygonal hotspots.

Using the various positioning properties in an internal stylesheet, I found that Absolute and Relative won't allow me to use the polygonal tool while Fixed, Inherit, and Static do allow me to draw one or more polygonal hotspots.

If I start with Fixed, Inherit, or Static positioning, draw a polygonal hotspot, then switch the positioning to Absolute or Relative, I then can't draw any further polygonals. But if I then switch back to Fixed, Inherit, or Static positioning, I can continue to draw polygonal hotspots.

And if I start with no tag associating the image with the Relative positioning in the stylesheet (which is what I want to use in my final page design) and draw my polygonals, I can then tag the image for Relative positioning on the page by applying the appropriate class tag to it.

So, in my case, simply having the image inside of a div doesn't affect my ability to draw one or more polygonal hotspots. But applying Absolute or Relative positioning to the div does. Applying Absolute or Relative positioning to the div after I've drawn the hotspots is, for me, an acceptable work around.

Bill