PDA

View Full Version : duplicate page in dreamweaver cs3

flawlesstwins
02-14-2011, 09:49 PM
This may be a silly question, but how do I duplicate my page in dreamweaver. Instead of having to create a new page. most websites the nav bar and banner general layout stays the same-you need to just change the text and photos on them. Is there a simple way to do this?

Ricky55
02-14-2011, 11:45 PM
Not a silly question at all.

Dreamweaver has a template system that allows you to do this but IMO its not they're not that great, you will soon outgrow them.

The alternative is to use PHP includes which are much more flexible and easier to use in the ling wrong. The do mean working in code view though which I would really encourage you to do.

I know what its like though when you first start using DW the code view doesn't look too inviting.

Give templates a try and see how you get on. If the site isn't massive it wouldn't be that difficult to break the template and use includes when you feel more confident or just use includes on your next site.

To use them, File > New and then choose template which creates a folder called templates with .dwt files. You can then create pages based on these templates and they work just as you described / want.

edbr
02-15-2011, 01:31 AM
i also use php includes for this but usually i make a copy of a page im happy with and call it blank.php (usually) then just save as if i want a new page. im also not a fan of the template system

DWcourse
02-15-2011, 04:55 AM
Templates are fine for small sites and a good way to start out but for a site of any size, includes are handy when you have to update menus, copyrights, etc.

And, I realize this will make me a bit of a freak, but I actually use include files in my templates.

flawlesstwins
02-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Thanks everyone. Is there some tutorial on how to make the duplicate page using php includes?

gentleone
02-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Thanks everyone. Is there some tutorial on how to make the duplicate page using php includes?
There is one on this site:
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/php-includes.php

seedism
02-23-2011, 01:15 PM
Maybe this sounds a bit crazy, I am quite a noob here to be honest, but.

Wouldn't the fastest way to copy a page in dreamweaver be to just save it under a different name...?
Just remove the main content and save file.

But this is probably silly of me.

P.

seedism
02-23-2011, 01:16 PM
oh i see.....as edbr said. lol

domedia
02-23-2011, 02:21 PM
But this is probably silly of me. Yes 8) Did you try to use Dreamweavers template system?

seedism
02-23-2011, 09:05 PM
never looked into that actually, although i have only been trying/using dreamweaver for a short while.

I have saved an early design once as template but didnt have the patience to get into that any deeper and went for saving lots of versions of the page i was working on.

Hmm, will have a look on possible benefits.

cheers
P.