PDA

View Full Version : CS5/Live View/Test Server Confusion

rap911help1
02-03-2011, 10:07 PM
New to CS5 ... have a website now that uses PHP ...separate 'header',body, and 'footer' PHP files for each web page with 'includes' to the necessary files. I'd like to use the Live View (checked out several tutorials) but am hung up on what is meant by a "testing server".

Is this talking about a physically separate machine from where my 'published' website is on? (I'm using BlueHost) or is there some software to simulate a testing server?

If physical, can I create a sub-directory at the host that can be used as a testing server?

edbr
02-04-2011, 12:12 AM
WAMP for windowc LAMP for linux or mac XXAMPP has versions for all. they are pretty much one click set up and will put an apache/ server with php and mysql on your computer for local testing

DWcourse
02-04-2011, 08:06 PM
you can use a remote server for testing but then you have to deal with the network lag. And there's also MAMP for MacOS

rap911help1
02-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Understand responses. Thank you

Found article: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/setup_testing_server.html which gave 'good' info. Theoretically, a local testing server is easier than I thought.

BUT - doesn't always work.(undoubtedly something I've done wrong)

Downloaded and installed (and install tested OK) Apache (but not use the 'combo' - i.e. Apache with MySQL) ... maybe this is the problem.

Basically followed the article - sometimes Live View works - sometimes NOT

-- when it doesn't work I get msg:

NOT FOUND The requested URL /DVMtest/index.php was not found on this server

but the Related Files toolbar contains 2 other .php files which are referenced by the index.php file (that 'was not found') .... also the Title of the web page was picked up from the index.php file.
{the Related Files toolbar DOES NOT display all the php files in my folder - only the 2 ref'd by index.php}

Needless to say, I've created a new site / removed it / created it again ... many times. It almost seems the DW doesn't 'clean out' memory ... in addition to the 'testing server' problem.

I've also found that when creating a new site, the name of the site MUST match the sub-dir name or it won't find any of the php files.

Dreamweaver 8 seemed more stable but obviously does not have the nice features of CS5. (Just thought: DW 8 is installed and is executable on my PC - will this cause any interference? I wouldn't think so.)

DWcourse
02-04-2011, 11:00 PM
try http://localhost/DVMtest/index.php

edbr
02-05-2011, 12:08 AM
MAMP, thats the one i was trying to remember,
seriously considering my next laptop to be a mac

rap911help1
02-05-2011, 12:20 AM
Don't understand .. try it directly from browser? Did but got Error 404 URL no found ... same text as in CS5 (but CS5 doesn't say 404 Error)

That's the URL CS5 is using

EDBR: are you saying I should use MAMP instead of just Apache?

edbr
02-05-2011, 12:28 AM
no its just different name for different operating systems
windows = wamp
linux=lamp
mac=mamp
all of these will install apache servers on your computer for testing

rap911help1
02-05-2011, 12:42 AM
didn't install WAMP ... installed Apache HTTP Server 2.0 ... do I need MySQL?

I am NOT doing any PHP develoment ... only using php so 'includes' can be used.

edbr
02-05-2011, 01:16 AM
you will still need php then

edbr
02-05-2011, 01:17 AM
save your self the hastle just install wamp or xxamp so much easier

rap911help1
02-05-2011, 01:24 AM
yes - need Apache - but do I need MySQL

edbr
02-05-2011, 01:56 AM
so what ? dont use it. You want to use php though. its not a bad thing to have who knows in the future what you may venture into

DWcourse
02-05-2011, 04:03 AM
MAMP, thats the one i was trying to remember,
seriously considering my next laptop to be a mac

I run a Mac with VMware Fusion for PC testing. Works like a charm.

rap911help1
02-05-2011, 04:33 AM
Took your advice:

Installed WAMP but help was in French (even though I selected English) - so
uninstalled and rebooted.
Installed XAMPP (Apache 2.2.17, MySQL 5.5.8, PHP 5.3.5) - rebooted
Removed 'DVMtest' site - rebooted
Have directory 'htdocs' with sub-dir DVMtest containing many .php files (including index.php)
Launched DW CS5 and created a new site (named:DVMtest, folder: C:\htdocs\DVMtest ... had tried before XAMPP to name the site 'DVM Test Site' but the DW Files (Local Files) panel looked for files in 'DVM Test Site')
Dbl-clkd index.php (in Files panel) and DW displayed the page (but since was php (not html) the text/etc was misplaced
Clkd on Live View - got window that testing server was not defined - replied YES - do it
Chose 'add server'
Defined site: Server name: Local Testing', connect using: LocalNetwork, Server folder: C:\htdocs\DVMtest\, Web URL http://localhost/DVMtest
Chose Advanced tab - set Server Model to PHP MySQL and chose SAVE
Next screen showed servers (only 1) - made sure 'testing' box checked - SAVE
DW tried to do a Live View but got error: Object Not Found ... rqst'd URL not on server ... error 404What have I done wrong?

rap911help1
02-05-2011, 08:59 PM
(Couldn't find way to edit last my last response to indicate that this response should be read before answering)

Got it to semi-work

Saw an htdocs subidir in the xampp directory - so (on a whim) added (copied) DVMtest to the 'htdocs' in xampp - then went through whole procedure of adding a new site. When I added the Web URL for the testing server, I used http://localhost/DVMtest.

Live View semi-worked. The page was found/displayed and 'link colors' changed when the cursor was 'focused' on links. But, when I clicked on a link, the new page didn't display - IS IT SUPPOSED TO? If not, this feature is of limited use.

Also the 'Related Toolbar' only had the names of files referenced by index.php - I was under the impression that all files within the 'source folder' would be listed.

DWcourse
02-05-2011, 10:46 PM
In Live View, in CS5 you can control/command+click to follow a link (or right click and choose Follow Link for the pop u menu).