PDA

View Full Version : Publish in Local or Remote is better?

MidwestFilmDude
01-30-2011, 09:48 PM
Is it better to edit and publish the website in "Local" mode or "Remote" mode?
I notice that in Local Mode that there is alot more folders and blog options?
THanks and sorry for this simple question.
:confused:

DWcourse
01-31-2011, 12:31 AM
I have to admit, your question has me totally baffled. What do you mean by local and remote "mode"?

In Dreamweaver you edit files locally (on your computer) and put (or publish) then to the remote server.

johnMoss
01-31-2011, 04:32 AM
Jc, please correct me if I'm wrong, but working remotely simply means you're pulling your pages directly from your host, editing, and immediately replacing them, hence bypassing any type of local storage...
Local is best, under assumption that your remote is your host and therefore any changes you are making are immediately live on the internet. You should [my opinion] be doing everything locally, i.e on your own computer; for example save your site folder on your desktop. You can of course still check your pages as to how they look in a browser at any time, and if you've made errors, no big deal, it's on your computer, not live...

edbr
01-31-2011, 04:42 AM
absolutely. its about editing your pages until you are happy with them and then uploading to the online server.

DWcourse
01-31-2011, 02:58 PM
But Dreamweaver always edits locally.

davidj
02-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Dreamweaver is a development tool. You should have a dev environment which you develop in and test in. When you are happy then upload the working, TESTED master piece. I use filezilla to upload a finished site. I never use Dreamweaver to publish a site live but that's just me.

To be honest I actually use Net Beans to code in

MidwestFilmDude
02-15-2011, 05:35 AM
Thanks everyone. I learned something new!