PDA

View Full Version : How to verify expected value of text box?

FethrdWlf
01-29-2011, 09:21 PM
I'm creating a newsletter that I will manually send to people after they fill out a form with their email, but first I would like for them to enter the word "yes" into a text box, asking them if they are human. If they don't type in "yes" I would like for a pop-up to open, just like the verification that Dreamweaver gives you under the "Behaviors" tab.

How could I do that?

johnMoss
01-31-2011, 04:06 AM
Even if implemented, if your only security requirement is the word 'yes', you will still get hacked sooner or later from "replay attacks", that once aware, will quickly decode the answer to get past your screen. In your case for example, the word yes should take about 4 to 6000 attempts before being broken. Using a 'captcha' plug-in will definitely be your best route. Google 'captcha'...

edbr
01-31-2011, 04:14 AM
agreed using javascript fror validation will not stop anything but is usefull as a "form helper" for instant serverside checking realtime as an aid. validation should be done server side

domedia
01-31-2011, 04:15 PM
Typing the word 'yes' into a box is CAPTCHA. The goal of the function is to verify a human user, not necessarily stop a hackling attempt. You'll have to go server side to stop MySQL injections etc.

FethrdWlf, a pop-up sounds rather obtrusive :)

Also: http://geekandpoke.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/04/23/captcha.jpg

FethrdWlf
01-31-2011, 11:34 PM
Even if implemented, if your only security requirement is the word 'yes', you will still get hacked sooner or later from "replay attacks", that once aware, will quickly decode the answer to get past your screen. In your case for example, the word yes should take about 4 to 6000 attempts before being broken. Using a 'captcha' plug-in will definitely be your best route. Google 'captcha'...

agreed using javascript fror validation will not stop anything but is usefull as a "form helper" for instant serverside checking realtime as an aid. validation should be done server side

Typing the word 'yes' into a box is CAPTCHA. The goal of the function is to verify a human user, not necessarily stop a hackling attempt. You'll have to go server side to stop MySQL injections etc.

FethrdWlf, a pop-up sounds rather obtrusive :)

Agreed, and thank you friends. Click on Google.... search box.... catpcha.... ENTER.
Google: Did you mean captcha? Search instead for catpcha.
Me: Thanks Goog........ I looove yooouuuu..................

edbr
02-01-2011, 01:09 AM
just an fyi captcha derives from
Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart

FethrdWlf
02-01-2011, 01:24 AM
just an fyi captcha derives from
Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart

Now it actually makes sense LOL.

edbr
02-01-2011, 01:33 AM
thats what i thought

johnMoss
02-01-2011, 03:32 AM
i'm gonna blame this new laptop...yeah... keyboard issues...

FethrdWlf
02-01-2011, 11:27 PM
i'm gonna blame this new laptop...yeah... keyboard issues...

Are you referring to when I talked about Google?.... That wasn't directed as a joke against anyone.... However, laptops, yeah. What's up with their keyboards?8-)