PDA

View Full Version : Teaching the web

DWcourse
01-28-2011, 02:59 AM
I had a revelation today. I taught Dreamweaver at a local college a few years back and then began teaching it online. I'm back in the classroom this semester and I'm finding that it's actually harder to teach the program in person.

When I"m teaching online, I provide a very detailed text and offer step-by-step instruction. I offer the same text and accompanying material to users in the classroom but, since I'm there, they expect to get all the info from me and don't read the text carefully or bother with the videos.

It's a big adjustment and a real eye opener.

domedia
01-28-2011, 05:16 AM
Maybe courses that are benefited from step by step detailed instructions are more suited to be online.

Sitting in an auditorium/classroom was never the main thing anyways.

DWcourse
01-28-2011, 05:32 AM
I think step-by-step procedures (which are required when starting out with a program like DW) are easier to learn initially with careful written instructions. That's why I often prefer well written blog posts to videos although videos are more popular and easier to promote.

I think the big concepts and issues like design benefit from the classroom experience. And, unless the instructor is a good performer as well, I don't much like large lectures either.