PDA

View Full Version : dynamic sites

tony09uk
01-27-2011, 10:18 PM
I am currently putting together a couple of basic web sites to get a feel for dreamweaver and web design. Once I have done these I have my eye on making dynamic sites. What are the best ways of going about it. I am currently learning HTML, soon CSS. What else should I be looking at and are there any plug ins that are worth considering?

edbr
01-28-2011, 01:16 AM
my recomendations would be to learn php and mysql. dw has built in wizards that work but because they try to be an solution for all, theya re bloated and quite difficult to re code when you want to do something outside their scope, and you will. there are some solutions on the market and i have to admit i have not used them but i imagimne they will suffer from the same or similar.
as they say give a man a fish he will eat, teach him how to fish he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer!! :)

edbr
01-28-2011, 01:43 AM
one i was thinking about was interakt which has now been bought by adobe it seems, i would still avoid it personally though

Ricky55
01-28-2011, 02:14 AM
ed is right learn the technology / language not a program. That's a mistake a lot of people make with Dreamweaver, they learn that more than they do the underlying HTML and CSS.

If you've just got into web design you've got a long road ahead of you though mate. Just make sure you understand HTML and CSS well before you head off and learn PHP.

DWcourse
01-28-2011, 02:56 AM
I think you're on the right path to start small. As Ricky said you want to learn the underlying principals behind the html and css. So, at minimum, always use split view and pay attention to what happens in the code. And, since your goal is to learn, delve into editing the code itself. I've seen computers blow up but it was never the result of broken html or css (now web designers blowing up is a whole other issue).

Once you have the basics of html and css (you'll never understand it all) take edbr's advice and get into php and mysql. You might start by playing around with one of the popular open source Content Management Systems (CMS) such as WordPress.

tony09uk
01-28-2011, 09:41 AM
ok cool, thats the way ive been looking to go. thanks. My next question is, apart from w3schools (which I have found to be a great help) where else can I go learn more of an about HTML, then CSS? I keep looking at code source, but alot of the time get lost, the bits I understand are the bits ive specifically learnt from a tutorial site such as w3schools