PDA

View Full Version : Please Please PLEASE help us!

Kierstan23
01-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Hi my partner and I are working on a site for a competion. We are in the Interactive media design program at our high school. This is the first website we've ever done and have run into many problems. We had to self teach our selfs everything we know, SO its been difficult. First we would like to ask you to go to the site and let us know ANY problems you see, we know of some of the but we would still like to know more, the site is interactivemediadesign.info/chicago2 . The second thing is when we were validating the site we came across the error "The tag: "body" doesn't have an attribute: "marginwidth" in currently active versions.[XHTML 1.0 Transitional]" and "The tag: "td" doesn't have an attribute: "background" in currently active versions.[XHTML 1.0 Transitional]" the lines were <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0"> and <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">. I don't know how to fix that. and the last thing is the site on some computer comes up fine but on others it breaks up weird or has white blocks, how do i fix that?

domedia
01-25-2011, 05:57 PM
I've deleted your other posts. Any more duplicate posts and you're out.

The error messages are verbal.

Kierstan23
01-25-2011, 06:04 PM
sorry, just trying to get an answer as fast as I can. I thought they were different rooms.

Corrosive
01-25-2011, 06:21 PM
As Domedia says, read the errors. Marginwidth is really old HTML and it is now deprecated... In fact I believe it was only ever recognised by IE anyway. The modern doctype you have specified (x)HTML came after the tag was deprected so it is warning you.

Same thing with the background on the td tag. You will need to find a better way of doing things.

Really you should have just HTML and content in your page and all styling should be through CSS to get modern browsers to display it well.

That said the site looks absolutely fine on my computer. Running Google Chrome and 1280 x 1024 resolution.

If it is for an assignment and it is the content/understanding of the subject matter you are being marked on then don't worry too much about it. One thing I hope is that they are not teaching you to design websites this way!

Kierstan23
01-25-2011, 08:58 PM
Its for a competetion. we havent been taught in class yet. we had to learn everything by our selfs. we didnt know you should have external style sheets, its an amazing idea now that we know but we only have two days left before it has to be in or we're disqualified and we loose the chance at a scholarship so we don't have time to create the style sheet. thank you for all your feed back. is there any better way without using an external sheet to do the table tags with for background images. we're using dreamweaver.

DWcourse
01-26-2011, 02:03 AM
When they were deleting your other posts they missed this one: http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38924

You can find some answers there as well.