PDA

View Full Version : frames

rleus
01-22-2011, 01:04 PM
I think this is the right place...

I have 4 frames. One at the left side, one on the rightside, one in the upper center and one in the lower center of my screen.
Now my problem is, I cannot figure out how te get the center frame on 800px (width) and the others need to come to the center frame.

So this is what i get:
|| --- ||
|| --- ||
||........||
||........||
This is what i need:
||---||
||---||
||....||
||....||

can someone help me?
thanks

johnMoss
01-22-2011, 01:39 PM
I'm having trouble trying to understand what it is you're trying to accomplish. Can you elaborate a little further? Also, it helps to post your html so we can see it... What I'm seeing is you need 4 stacking frames of the same width. In fact are you wanting the left & right frames inside a container frame?

rleus
01-22-2011, 04:54 PM
This is what i get, the outer (black) frames needs to come against the picture on top, whatever resolution you use.
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo193/robrechtleus/frames.jpg

code: (just what dreamwearver give me)

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
</head>
<frameset rows="*" cols="20,400" framespacing="0" frameborder="NO" border="0" bordercolor="#F0F0F0">
<frame src="Linksframe.htm" name="leftFrame" frameborder="no" scrolling="NO">
<frameset cols="400,20" frameborder="NO" border="0" framespacing="0">
<frameset rows="264,*" cols="*" framespacing="0" frameborder="NO" border="0">
<frame src="Hoofdframe.htm" name="topFrame" frameborder="no" scrolling="NO" noresize>
<frame src="index.htm" name="mainFrame" frameborder="no" noresize>
</frameset>
<frame src="Rechtsframe.htm" name="rightFrame" frameborder="no" scrolling="NO">
</frameset>
</frameset>
<noframes><body>
</body></noframes>
</html>

johnMoss
01-22-2011, 05:13 PM
I have never seen a browser with a picture on it, that's cool...
I assume the top picture in question is the mini-bike team photo, is that right? black border against it on both sides?

rleus
01-22-2011, 06:13 PM
yes thats what is need, and the black border needs to go to the bottom of the page

So hace you the solution to this?

btw: is just firefox:wink:

johnMoss
01-22-2011, 07:25 PM
In the absence of having your supporting frame & imagery files I can't play with it in DW. The quick & obvious answer (I suspect) is that your version of Firefox is not recognizing one or more attribute statements. This is an inherent problem of using frames; to cover all bases you sometimes have to double up on them; i.e. say the same thing twice to make sure the browser gets it... things like frameborder="NO" in older versions are understood with something like "no frameborder"... I gotta yield to the masters on this site, they will have a better answer for you...

gentleone
01-22-2011, 07:41 PM
I gotta yield to the masters on this site, they will have a better answer for you...
The answer is quite simple. Don't use frames! It's an outdated method to build a page... it's bad for SEO, usability and accessibility. Frames just plain sucks, use div tags and CSS for layout which is more flexible to achieve what you want.

http://articles.sitepoint.com/article/html-css-beginners-guide

domedia
01-22-2011, 09:40 PM
I forgot who said it's like using a toaster to drive a nail in the wall; it might work, but it's completely wrong. rleus, frames are a very simple way of including external content (webpages on other sites) to your website. It's not for designing your site. I think the name 'frames' is the guilty one, it's not to be understood as a 'frame' for making your website.

rleus
01-23-2011, 10:58 AM
Than what is the right way to do the thing I want? 2 black strokes at the sides.

Corrosive
01-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Create your layout from CSS and HTML. Set the CSS styles on the body tag to have a background colour of black and then centre your web page using this method; http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/css-center-content.php and build your page in the wrapper div. That will make the black appear at the sides of your design.

rleus
01-23-2011, 11:51 AM
thanks thats just what i needed

johnMoss
01-23-2011, 03:04 PM
It also sounds like you are quite unfamiliar with the use of CSS, so a little training is in order, and you will find the necessary resources on this site. As an immediate answer to your question and get the ball rolling, here is one way of doing what you are looking for, and bear in mind this can be simplified even further...

Create a master container, or div, in your HTML, and give it a name.

<body>
<div class= "masterContainer">
<p>your image can go here</p>
<p>blah blah filler </p>
<p>so you can see whats happening</p>
<p>container is set to fill automatically</p>
</div>
</body>
</html>

then create your styles and tell the div what to do

.masterContainer {
height:auto;
border-style: solid;
border-color: #003;
border-right-width: 80px;
border-left-width: 80px;
width:680px;
border-bottom: hidden;
border-top: hidden;
}

Create a separate stylesheet to put these values in and then link it to your page. You've some reading to do, but this should get you going as a small practical example...