PDA

View Full Version : appear/fade error

marcia
01-19-2011, 11:42 PM
The S button on the bottom right does not enlarge and fade in, so you cannot fade it out either. The button is div id=bigS.

It is fine in the local preview, but when updated the enlargement and fade/appear behavior does not work. It is supposed to fade into the center of the page, under 'banner logos' to 111 px x 227px. The targetted large button is in apDiv9 and the name of the enlarged img is 'susanLogoX.gif' because it is am img with an X in the corner. The img in the smaller button is 'susanLogo.gif.

There is also an apDiv10 that could be involved, but it does not appear in the AP Element panel, tho it is in the local code and does not appear to have anything inside.

When I put the local into the remote, I get an error msg, saying something about JavaScript that i don't understand. All my other stuff that requires javascript is ok.

Ideas?

www.multiplechoicebags.com/sdhome.html (http://www.multiplechoicebags.com/sdhome.html)

johnMoss
01-20-2011, 01:47 AM
I have a suspicion that the error I found is one those you make when you start toying with things to get them to work; i.e maybe this is an after the fact occurence, but close the body tag on line 142. As it is open it's causing a slew of errors, possibly the one in question?

marcia
01-20-2011, 02:56 PM
Thanks - will do asap. Appreciate your reply.

johnMoss
01-20-2011, 03:07 PM
lemme know if that solves the problem, I'm certainly curious... beautiful work by the way...

marcia
01-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Thanks, John - it's nice to get a compliment once in a while.

Just got back to my comp. Am curious as to how you found line 142. I didn't know you could get line numbers in page source.

Will set to work in a little while.

Awaiting reply,

Marcia

johnMoss
01-21-2011, 12:34 AM
I copied the html into dreamweaver & scanned for validation errors. Closing the tag got rid of everything except your attribute problem on the line in question regarding your original problem. I didn't think that was gonna be the culprit, but the unclosed tag definitely was an object of interest... Did it solve the problem?

marcia
01-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Hi John,

Just got the validation report, but honestly, don't know what to do with it. The entire code for body text in 142 is greyed out, and in line 225 the code says there is no beginning body. Where do I close line 142 and where should the <body> tag be? When I try to do anything, the code appears in the design view. What do you suggest?

johnMoss
01-21-2011, 06:22 PM
The body tag in line 142 just needs a ">" at the end of it... as per..

<body text="#CCCCCC" vlink="#00FF00">

When you say grayed out, do you mean uneditable in Dreamweaver?
If this is the case, simply copy all your html into notepad, add the bracket there, & then reinsert into the file...

marcia
01-21-2011, 07:58 PM
Here's what happened. The validation eliminated all but one error. This refers to the logo which is working fine.

So, the big problem remains the s button. Also, the telephone no. which is nice and big on the page, turns into the little no. that automatically appears. I guess that needs to be made into an image -Yes?

Now, back to your method of seeing my html. Does that mean you can edit my html or is it a read only file?

My IE is not working so I can't see the site there. Do you hae IE7 or beyond? If so, can you see the site and do all the links work (except the S link). (the Telio link is only to the index page and does not link to the inside pages)

If you can answer these questions you will become my new DW guru.

johnMoss
01-21-2011, 10:42 PM
Clearly a Wayne's World moment... I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!...
The masters of the universe on this site all have stars, bars, & personal attaches, me I'm still packin' a broom here...

ahem, to the task at hand...
Though stylesheets are referenced, I see all your classes being defined on this page; are there others on a stylesheet I'm not seeing?

If not:

1) On the s button, you have mis-identified your div.

< <div id="largeS"></div>

your div name up topside is "#largestS", so fix that for starters..
2) probably be helpful if you could send me your whole file, without the images its difficult to play with things. I also suspect your original image size may be too big for the starter box, in which case you'll run into browser issues.. take a look also at line 159, you have two file extensions on
specializind3d666.psd.gif

3) On the phone number, skype is auto-installed in newer versions of IE, to get rid of the hyperlink routine, you can disable it in 'manage add-ons' from your internet options drop-down on your browser; though as you say you want to make it bigger, then yes, convert it to an image.

4) yes, I am able to edit your html. I take it you are using a design view editor? you have a gazillion space bars & enters which are better dealt with via CSS... My 2 cents there...

5) I do have IE 9, and the links are working, but I don't know that all of them are, I haven't studied the page that close for hyperlinks..
Upload the whole file & I'll take a harder look at it...

marcia
01-22-2011, 03:44 PM
i wrote you a l-o-n-g reply, but am not sure it was sent. Did you get it?

johnMoss
01-22-2011, 03:48 PM
actually no... I think the server may be messed up this morning... note that this message you just sent is not attached to the original stream

marcia
01-22-2011, 03:56 PM
We're now on the second page. Will write it again, but need to do something first.

What is your e-mail? I tried to instant msg but I had to sign in, join,etc, and it took forever. Also added you to my buddy list but realize that I forgot how to wrtie to a 'buddy'- mean where the 'write to' button is.

johnMoss
01-22-2011, 03:58 PM
johnmoss2010 at yahoo dot com

domedia
01-22-2011, 05:14 PM
John, I hope you don't mind, but I changed your post a little. Those pesky spam bots find email addresses so easy on this site, and I didn't want you to get even more spam just because of this post 8)

johnMoss
01-22-2011, 05:17 PM
Quite the contrary, thank you... I've seen before one can edit one's posts, though in this case I couldn't. Absolutely right, don't want to leave it up there, once she had it, I couldn't get rid of it... Thank you for riding shotgun on this one!
JM