PDA

View Full Version : Creating a login form?

FethrdWlf
01-16-2011, 04:32 PM
I'm creating a blog where I can showcase my photos and videos, etc. But I need to be able to create a page where people can login, and then post comments. How would I be able to do this? I want my users to be emailed every time I post something new, and I also would like for them to be able to customize their settings, like name, email, avatar, etc. And no, I can't just create a forum, because that would be cheating :grin:. Anyhow, help?

gentleone
01-16-2011, 05:47 PM
How's your PHP & MySQL skillset?

FethrdWlf
01-16-2011, 06:37 PM
How's your PHP & MySQL skillset?

I am very poor with both. I did one script in PHP, but that was based off of what Tutvid was showing me on Youtube. And, I've heard about MySQL, but I don't even really know what it is! 8) :( :grin:

Ricky55
01-16-2011, 08:02 PM
No offence but if you can't get your head around lightbox you've no chance of doing this yourself. Tut vid videos are crap btw he doesn't teach best practices.

Be careful what you watch on you tube there's some right rubbish on there.

You'd be far better using a cms to achieve this have a look at wordpress.

gentleone
01-16-2011, 08:05 PM
I am very poor with both. I did one script in PHP, but that was based off of what Tutvid was showing me on Youtube. And, I've heard about MySQL, but I don't even really know what it is! 8) :( :grin:
Yes, listen to Ricky... he just said what i wanted to say ;)

domedia
01-17-2011, 06:12 PM
And that's completely o.k.
I doubt anyone in here was able to skip the learning curve :)

Start with HTML/CSS, front end coding.
When you're ready for the next step look into the server side languages.

Ricky55
01-17-2011, 07:10 PM
Absolutely Dom.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't be able to do this myself either. No point in reinventing the wheel though even if you know how.

domedia
01-17-2011, 09:30 PM
Yeah, there's a ton of great resources for learning PHP. YouTube is not one of them.

FethrdWlf
01-17-2011, 10:15 PM
Yeah, there's a ton of great resources for learning PHP. YouTube is not one of them.

I already have the basics of HTML and CSS down, so where could I start learning PHP?

And, pretty much I just watched from Youtube 'cause I REALLY needed that part done then. Thanks for the pointers everyone!:lol:

Yeah, so the dealio is that I'm only 12, and my middle school has no intention of teaching the fine arts of web design. Thank you again to all of you have responded.

edbr
01-18-2011, 01:42 AM
start with the tuts on this forum in tutorials, that way we can help you

FethrdWlf
01-18-2011, 02:44 AM
start with the tuts on this forum in tutorials, that way we can help you

Oh, OK! Thanks edbr.

Corrosive
01-18-2011, 06:20 AM
Yeah, so the dealio is that I'm only 12

12! Fair play to you for getting this far.

The set of tutorials I read first were these; http://devzone.zend.com/article/625 They are very good and explain things in a clear way. I must admit I did also have some lessons to get proficient but that set of articles is a great starting point.

domedia
01-18-2011, 12:45 PM
and don't use youtube for tutorials.

Ever 8)

It's like stopping random people at the mall and ask for financial guidance ;)

FethrdWlf
01-19-2011, 03:26 AM
12! Fair play to you for getting this far.

The set of tutorials I read first were these; http://devzone.zend.com/article/625 They are very good and explain things in a clear way. I must admit I did also have some lessons to get proficient but that set of articles is a great starting point.

and don't use youtube for tutorials.

Ever 8)

It's like stopping random people at the mall and ask for financial guidance ;)

Cool, thanks guys.