PDA

View Full Version : Library Update / Sync Issue

Schubie
01-16-2011, 05:24 AM
I have portions of a site's pages "canned" as an "asset" and inserted in each of the site's .htm files so that I didn't need to update each page individually when something common to each was modified. When the Library entry is updated and saved, Dreamweaver says he 'updates' all the pages which contain that "asset" (which I expected). However, when the request is made for the site to be synchronized, only the library entry seems to be considered modified (which I didn't expect). To get the site truly updated, I have needed to upload each of the individual .htm files to the server. I would have assumed that, when the page itself was modified due to a change in the library entry, it would be flagged so that the sync process would upload them also.

Schubie
01-17-2011, 01:36 AM
New research:
Once you have updated the Library ("asset") and saved it, it will, in turn, update all the pages in which that entry is contained. Once that has happened, go get yourself a beer, enjoy it and only then perform the Synchronize task. Dreamweaver compares the timestamp with the FTP Server to see if the local copy is "newer" to determine what, if anything, needs to be updated on the remote. Why he found the Library copy as "newer" but not the associated .htm pages, I don't know.. but, if I waited long enough, Dreamweaver would eventually discover the descrepancy and re-upload the modified pages. Don't do this too many times in a work session of you'll have enjoyed too many beers and won't give a rip as to whether anything gets updated.

BTW My issue involved a small site of four pages and I performed many updates as I learn how to use this product (and spell correctly). It is possible that only the date and hours are compared. Even then, it doesn't explain the Library item update. :confused:

domedia
01-17-2011, 06:17 PM
Sounds like maybe there's an issue with the local timestamps, and the one on your servers. Different time zones maybe?

Schubie
01-18-2011, 03:30 AM
This may be a time zone issue and there may be a reason for not keying off an "I've been modified" switch which would be turned off upon an upload.. but then, I didn't program this product. I'm keeping track of what gets updated at any rate.