PDA

View Full Version : Learning Dreamweaver Advice

Wanderer
01-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Hi everyone,

Advice required, Im currently learning how to use Dreamweaver I know most of the basics and im pretty confident at positioning div tags on a page to create layouts. Just wondering what section to learn next, and whether there is some sort of order I should be learning the software in I could do with a list of key areas to study sort of like a check list!

Hope this make sense.

Best Regards

Chris

DWcourse
01-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Here's a link to the syllabus I use to teach Dreamweaver: http://www.dwcourse.com/dreamweaver-forum/showthread.php?426-Dominate-Dreamweaver-Course-Outline

I think it's also a pretty good roadmap for learning on your own.

Corrosive
01-13-2011, 06:33 PM
I think it's also a pretty good roadmap for learning on your own.

I'd absolutely second that.

Wanderer
01-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply, I will start reading & researching throught your module sections. I am really keen to get moving with Dreamweaver hopefully with the help of this site I will get there sooner than later.

Cheers, Chris.

Ricky55
01-13-2011, 09:07 PM
It is a good road map I agree but I wouldn't fall into the trap of just learning Dreamweaver and relying on its design view, icons and dialogues.

Use Dreamweaver by all means but use code view as much as you can and learn HTML and CSS through code view if you can.

I've seen loads of video tuts that show how to edit sites with CSS using Dreamweaver and for me it makes it so much more complicated than just using writing the code and in the end you don't end up fully appreciating whats going on.

Its perhaps more difficult to begin with but in the end it will pay massive dividends IMO.

DWcourse
01-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Ricky, I don't disagree. I start people out with HTML and CSS and emphasize CSS throughout. I always try to tie what's going on in Design View to what's happening in the code.

I always urge student to work in Split View (both code and design visible). I do focus on the visual editing tools though. If they are well used they are very powerful. But, of course, anyone serious about a web career is going to need to get messy in the code eventually as well (and I do show people how to edit there and insert code from other sources).

I've never really understood the bias against the visual editor in Dreamweaver. To be honest, even when I'm hand coding sites or creating/editing a theme in WordPress I keep Dreamweaver open to "write" some of my CSS when I have a brain freeze.

A lot of my students are from a design background and visual editing allows them to get started quicker and not be overwhelmed by the minutiae of coding right off the bat. I've seen a lot of people get overwhelmed by the idea of "programming." But, if you sneak them into coding, they do fine.

Basically, it's "different strokes for different folks." And, of course the more you're willing to learn and the more tools you have at your disposal, the more likely you are to succeed.

Ricky55
01-14-2011, 04:37 PM
I'm from a design background too.

Its perhaps easy to say that Dreamweaver makes things seem more complicated when you know how to hand code but I really do believe some of it does. The way you work with CSS in Dreamweaver for me just seems really clumsy.

Even creating style rules for a tag just seems to make something thats actually very simple seem more complex. Perhaps its just me.

I'm all for making my work flow quicker but I think tools that help you generate code are far quicker than clicking through a bunch of dialogues. I use a combination of Text Expander and Snippets both for the Mac. You generate code in no time with these tools. I don't actually type out lines of code as you don't have to.

I appreciate that we all learn in different ways but I do like to put my point across DW as I'm sure you have started to gather.

DWcourse
01-14-2011, 06:42 PM
I do like to put my point across

Don't we all!

Ricky55
01-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Nice one dw it's all healthy debate.

gentleone
01-14-2011, 08:47 PM
There is one thing that I prefer to do in design view then in code view... Fill in a table with data... much quicker for me ;)

On a side note... if you have a couple of divs set to overflow: hidden in the CSS then whole design view is screwed up :)

DWcourse
01-14-2011, 09:04 PM
There is one thing that I prefer to do in design view then in code view... Fill in a table with data... much quicker for me ;)

On a side note... if you have a couple of divs set to overflow: hidden in the CSS then whole design view is screwed up :)

Design view is more what you see is sort of like what you get than WYSIWYG.

I also like the Live View feature introduced in CS4 that is a real browser (webkit based) and let's you edit the css and see preview it in one (Split View) window.

gentleone
01-14-2011, 09:18 PM
I also like the Live View feature introduced in CS4 that is a real browser (webkit based) and let's you edit the css and see preview it in one (Split View) window.

Yeah... I've been there a couple of times... out of curiosity... nothing more, but didn't know about that split view option.