PDA

View Full Version : Where to find sites to import

Vanessa13
01-11-2011, 01:37 PM
My Windows crashed about a week ago, and, although I managed to get all my files off my old HDD (like the Dreamweaver folders in my old programme files, for example), I have no idea where to find the files in those folders to import into my sites again. Basically, I don't want to have to set up the 20-odd sites I had all over again - I'd much rather just import them from the original HDD files. The original HDD is no longer available for use, though - just the files I managed to save off them.

Can anyone tell me where on my harddrive I can find the correct files (and what those files are called) in order to import them back into the new Dreamweaver on my new HDD? I have version 8 now, and had the same version on the old HDD.

Corrosive
01-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Check for a file extension .ste You might be lucky

Vanessa13
01-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Thanks for that - I've done a search, but it's not my lucky day :-(

My husband is going to try to get the old HDD working again just so that I can export my sites from the old one, but he's not convinced he'll get it right, so if you or anyone else has any other ideas, they're most welcome!

DWcourse
01-11-2011, 05:04 PM
On Windows the site definitions are stored in the registry not a separate file. If you get the od machine running you might be able to recover them. This article has some info and a link to more detailed instructions: http://www.dwcourse.com/dreamweaver/recovering-dreamweaver-site-definitions-on-windows.php

Vanessa13
01-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the extra help - I've managed to gain access to the old HDD, as that wasn't damaged. However, the Windows on that HDD is corrupt, so I can't load it, only view the files on the HDD via another PC. I found the following files, which I hoped might be the right ones, but Dreamweaver won't import any of them, because it wants an .ste file to import.

C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver 8\Configuration
In Configuration folder:
ccSiteManagerStrings.xml - Strings folder
ccSiteStrings.xml - Strings folder
MMSiteSettings.dll - JSEExtensions folder
siteSettings_TEMP.JScript - Toolbars folder
sitestrings.xml - Strings folder

I've done another search for an .ste file, but still no luck.

Do you think it would work if I simply pasted the DLL file into my new C drive, in the correct folder, and tried to export it that way, then import it again? I'm a bit leery of fiddling with my programme folders like that, since I don't actually know what I'm doing regarding that.

DWcourse
01-13-2011, 03:39 PM
I'm not a Windows expert but I believe those are configuration files for Dreamweaver (basically preference settings, etc.) and importing them won't do you any good. If the old Windows registry is hosed and you didn't back up your site definitions, you'll have to rebuild them.

Vanessa13
01-14-2011, 08:05 AM
I've come to the conclusion that your'e right, and have started setting them all up again. Somehow it seems easier than the last time I did them way back when, but, then again, I've learnt a lot since then. I'm going to export the files and save them to another location this time, when they're all set up, just in case this happens again. I've realised that without an .ste file, it's just not possible... :-( Thanks, everyone, for all the help, though - it was very much appreciated!