PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweavers FTP client - Can it be used?

domedia
01-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Since back in the yesteryears Dreamweavers FTP client has gotten a lot of flack, and many, including me, has suggested using separate FTP clients.

But FTP is FTP. It's not really a protocol that you can screw up with.
Well you can, but do we really believe that Adobe can't figure this out? C'mon..

So I'm just throwing this out there:

Is there really a problem with Dreamweavers FTP client, or are we just to lazy to set it up right?

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/148/tn_14834.html
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/152/tn_15220.html
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/145/tn_14536.html

DWcourse
01-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Well, there is an issue with DW's ftp being slow sometimes which stems (I believe) from the extra site information and notes it stores. It can really become an issue when check in/check out is activated.

Then there is the issue of setting up the site correctly. You have to configure things to that DW dumps you into the correct folder (say public_html). It's not rocket science but it trips a lot of folks up. You'd think hosting companies would provide DW specific instructions but most don't.

But, I'd agree that Adobe could do better (and made some improvements in CS5).

But I do use the built in ftp a lot and I don't really have major problems.

edbr
01-11-2011, 12:20 AM
i havent used it since .. cant remember when
. My reasons for not using it is just that i prefer to work with 3rd party as i like to see the files on the server and the ease of changing permissions and rectifying any mistakes and drag and drop test files not in my local site , but it is just a personal preference as i feel it offers more but yes im also sure DW ftp can work.

lansharked
01-29-2011, 05:06 PM
Was about to dump use of Dreamweaver's FTP and switch to FileZilla for a new Windows 7 64-bit laptop on which I was able to successfully re-install Dreamweaver MX 2004 (aka Dreamweaver 7).

I had the weirdest error occurring... I could not update remote files after making changes locally (with check-in/check-out enabled) even though I was getting no errors. I had checked and re-checked root and folder paths in my site definitions, etc. :(

Low and behold I happened to copy and paste the full root folder and default images folder paths from the Dreameaver site def into Notepad and they were wrong! I went to update them to the right ones, used the navigate button and selected the correct directory (one level in), and then I noticed that there is a bug that would not update the directory in the site def after navigating to a different directory.

I had to manually type the correct directories for the three path definition fields and then IT WORKED!.

------------------------------------
Recap:

Manually define (DO NOT use the navigate button) these fields in your site's Site Definition record:

Local Info > Local root folder
Local Info > Default images folder
Site Map Layout > Home page

(you also need to include a trailing backslash '\' at the end of the first two paths)

This will also probably apply to Dreamweaver 8 users on Windows 7, btw.

Cheers! :grin:

domedia
01-30-2011, 08:21 PM
And always make sure your software is patched. There has not been a version of DW that does not have patches available.