PDA

View Full Version : Uneditable Page

JStu
01-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Greetings! I recently began volunteering at a non profit and somehow ended up charged with keeping up the website. So far so good except this one page I absolutely cannot figure out. I would really like to know how to fix it to expand my knowledge of code... which is currently barely anything.

When I open this website www.rtwashington.org (http://www.rtwashington.org) in dreamweaver the cursor becomes a circle with a line through it. Also, there are two or three spots around the page hi lighted in yellow that look like commands?
I have a screen shot put apparently it wont show up in the body of this and I can't attach it. So if you email me I can email it back. I swear I am not a creep I just need to update the info on this non profit page and nothing I have tried has worked. Thanks very much for your help I am not very computer savvy so I also appreciate your patience. J

gentleone
01-06-2011, 08:47 PM
As far as I can see is the page based upon a dreamweaver template and is it generated through Microsoft Word (yuk). Do you open a .dwt file in dreamweaver or a .html file? Not that I really can help you, because i never used to work with templates.

JStu
01-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Yes, the files are in .html format. I inherited these duties so I do not know if microsoft word ever entered into this. I do not use it for anything I do on the site. When I open in DreamWeaver it looks like
If you can no longer maintain your own home- <span> </i>

the non bold is highlighted in yellow. Then on the bottom left below the text it says <!-- #EndEditable --> again in yellow highlighting.

Trust me we really want to re do our website as soon as we figure out how to do it on a charity's budget. For now this is what we have to work with.
Thanks so much for your help!

DWcourse
01-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Yuk, indeed!

As set up only the text in the middle area (If you can no longer maintain…)
should be editable, the rest of the page should be locked and only editable in the template. Is that not what's happening.

JStu
01-06-2011, 09:48 PM
No I can't edit any of it. I assume when you say template you mean when I have it open in DW, like as if I were going to edit it? My cursor is immobile, as stated earlier.
Thanks a lot for taking the time to help me out

JStu
01-06-2011, 09:54 PM
It keeps telling me it's 'Locked' by a template or translator. Is there a way I can delete some component of the code to rectify this situation?

gentleone
01-06-2011, 10:04 PM
It keeps telling me it's 'Locked' by a template or translator. Is there a way I can delete some component of the code to rectify this situation?
Well... i see it's the only page on the website, so the use of a template is... err... useless.
I would just copy all the source code to a new file... delete all this dwt crap... and save it as index.html, so that you have a new and normal html document.

DWcourse
01-06-2011, 10:32 PM
You have some tags that haven't been closed properly. That would need to be fixed in the template but it's hard to know exactly what and I wouldn't want to wade through all the Word crap.

You coud try opening the page in a text editor and deleting this code near the top of the page:

<!-- #BeginTemplate "/Templates/Template1.dwt" -->

Then heading back to DW to edit. But, realistically, you should just cut your losses and start over.

JStu
01-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Ok I did what you said and it is still the exact same. I have two questions- define source code because perhaps that is where I messed up
Also, we save all of our pages as .htm will that matter if I saved the new pages as .html
I know I am a novice and it's probably very annoying but I thank you for your patience and help.

JStu
01-06-2011, 10:38 PM
I don't know how to start over. As I said, I inherited these responsibilities from the previous volunteer.

JStu
01-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Just as an update: I can now edit the file because I found the original template (thanks to this forum) but now I can't get the program I use to put the pages online to replace the existing one with my new one. So I have an edited page, I just can't get it online.

JStu
01-06-2011, 10:48 PM
YAY! Mission accomplished! Thank you all very very much!

gentleone
01-06-2011, 10:50 PM
YAY! Mission accomplished! Thank you all very very much!
Good stuff :)

DWcourse
01-06-2011, 10:54 PM
you might want to bookmark this site. I feel a lot more questions coming on. :roll:

JStu
01-06-2011, 11:05 PM
haha did you get that feeling? Because I got it too! I WILL bookmark this site, but also I realize now that as long as I set up some kind of safety measure it is good to poke around and try and figure it out as much as I can on my own. Thank you all for your guidance and next time I will try and be more succinct and try to have done a little more troubleshooting on my own! You all ROCK!