PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible without flash?

Melodician
01-01-2011, 02:13 AM
Hey all, I've got little question for you guys regarding a way I'd like to try doing the navigation for my site. I made a series of images showing just what I'm trying to do that should explain things much more clearly than I could in words. Bare with me here..

I know this can be done with flash, but if possible I'd really like to avoid using it for wider accessibility and search engine related reasons, among others.

At the same time, I realize it might be a lot more work than it would be in flash (if it can in fact be done). If that's the case, how much harder would it be, and just what exactly would be involved?

DWcourse
01-01-2011, 07:03 AM
It may be possible but it would certainly be over my head. One question: Why would you want the content to display using AJAX without refreshing the page. You claim you don't want to use flash for search engine reasons but having all your content on one page rather than on dedicated pages is bad SEO practice.

Melodician
01-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Why would you want the content to display using AJAX without refreshing the page. You claim you don't want to use flash for search engine reasons but having all your content on one page rather than on dedicated pages is bad SEO practice.

Its not so much for search engine reasons really but more that I just plain don't like flash. It feels so 'gimmiky' for lack of better words. Kind of like a charade saying "look at me! i knowz how 2 FLASH. I'm a real designer!" but in reality it just comes off as a cheap party trick so to speak (to me at least). There's something about it that just feels unprofessional to me almost like it was settled for as a design approach for a lack of better, more thoughtful efforts.

I guess I'd really like visitors to be able to highlight text and save images (however small they may be) as well, but this isn't quite as important to me. Wouldn't web crawlers obtain more data for search engine results easier this was too?

Ricky55
01-01-2011, 12:48 PM
You could probably do something similar with jQuery but probably not as complex. Using Ajax to load content doesn't mean all the content would be in one page though so it's not bad for Seo.

I think your view of flash is totally misguided though. Flash still can be excellent for many websites. For example many sites for large feature films and video games often use flash to great effect.

Flash looks terrible when it's misused, when it's used for sites that could easily have been done without it. Using flash also doesn't necessarily mean bad Seo if you use modern practices.

One issue I have with flash now is the lack of support on apples devices but you could perhaps offer up a none flash mobile version of the site.

In the end it's your decision, nearly all the sites I build now are built using jquery html5 and as much css3 as possible but then again if a client asked for something that you propose I would talk them through the pros and cons and I wouldnt be against creating a site in flash.

Let's us know what you decide.

DWcourse
01-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Using Ajax to load content doesn't mean all the content would be in one page though so it's not bad for Seo.

If you're going to be going to a new page why would you bother using AJAX to load the content?

Melodician
01-01-2011, 09:27 PM
I think your view of flash is totally misguided though. Flash still can be excellent for many websites. For example many sites for large feature films and video games often use flash to great effect.

Flash looks terrible when it's misused, when it's used for sites that could easily have been done without it.

See that's really good for me to hear. I need outside viewpoints on flash because I'm not so sure I can really trust my own, as I've come to my perception over time in a somewhat "anti-conformist" kind of way. What I mean is that clients, and people with little knowledge of web design, tend to hail Flash as the 'coolest thing they've seen online' so to speak. This stems all the way back to when Flash was relatively young and at the time was pretty hyped in general. I tend to be picky about what trends I consider to be acceptable to adhere to, and at the time Flash was definitely not one of them. I guess ever since then that stigma has sort of stuck with me.

I've seen Flash sites that were done well and have been quite impressed, and I have no doubts that I could present my site in equally impressive aesthetics and functionality, but I'm realizing that my resistance may have been coming from this bias I'm carrying that I know I'm not always aware of. I really am just considering just going for it and doing it in flash, and like many other sites, as well as you've suggested, making an html version available. I'll keep you guys up on it. I'm still very curious to hear some others' views on Flash in general.

DWcourse
01-02-2011, 12:44 AM
You're in the best position to decide if Flash is right for your site since you seem to understand it's advantages and drawbacks. It's really just a matter of if it works for you particular application. I don't see Flash going away any time soon.

Ricky55
01-02-2011, 03:45 PM
You misunderstood what I meant DW.

You'd only go to a new page in the traditional sense i.e. a link if javascript was disabled. Otherwise the content would animate in seamlessly via jQuery and AJAX.

jQuery detects the URL change and loads in the content.

It's actually a very nice method of creating a small site / web application as it still works with JS disabled.

See example here of what I'm talking about.

http://css-tricks.com/examples/DynamicPage

Ricky55
01-02-2011, 03:57 PM
This is a nice Flash site http://www.marcecko.com/

Now something like this could only be done in Flash.

This has some cool Flash content too.

http://uk.ufc.com/

Like we've said though only you can decide. It also depends on how well you know a technology. Judging from your comments your no Flash guru. To do cool stuff in Flash you need to know Action Script 3.0.

This website has some great Flash video tuts. Its run by a guy called Lee Brimelow he's a Flash Evangelist for Adobe. He's tuts are always right on the money and he also runs a blog.

http://www.gotoandlearn.com/
http://blog.theflashblog.com/

If you wanna get to know more about the Flash scene that is a great place to start.

DWcourse
01-02-2011, 07:50 PM
You misunderstood what I meant DW.

Totally misunderstood. That's a nice technique.

jmichae3
01-04-2011, 10:26 AM
if all you are doing is flying text around and resizing it, that's easy. all that can be done with arrays, one array for left (position x), one for top (position y), one for div width (size x), one for div height (size y), and another for the actual text you intend to change mid-flight.

I can do that with some javascript and a div for the text, some flight path curve points, and some linear interpolation, or better yet an x-y akima spline curve fitting program (freely available). follows right along the data points, and you need a couple of extra points on the ends for akima.

if you need code, ask me, and I can provide it.

you can probably write a web page with a big canvas that simply takes mouse clicks and converts them into coordinates you can append to a string and stuff into a div, should be an example on the internet somewhere you can tweak. then you just copy them, edit, and use them.