PDA

View Full Version : Site not displaying properly in IE

res
12-31-2010, 03:33 PM
Hello,

I'm working on building a site from a template. Prior to today I only opened the site in Firefox and it displays fine. However, in IE for some reason every page besides the index.html do not display properly. The weird thing is, the part that is messed up should be the same as the index.html because they're from the same template.

Does anyone happen to know what I messed up?

Here is the site...

http://testtreks.onlinewebshop.net/index.html

Thank you for your time,
res

johnMoss
12-31-2010, 10:25 PM
I just got through having this exact problem with a template. Your index page is fine, I assume you have a file called .../template/'subpages' in there? If you do, copy the html into a notepad text file and post it here along with the index page...

johnMoss
12-31-2010, 10:27 PM
also, you haven't messed anything up; the subpages html probably needs some special I.E. script in the header....

DWcourse
12-31-2010, 10:56 PM
You haven't learned how to use Dreamweaver templates correctly. Your index page actually looks to be a template file (it doesn't reference a template and it contains editable region definitions).

Your other pages appear to be based upon a template (/Templates/index.dwt) which you made from the index.html file.

I'd say that's the root of your problems.

res
01-01-2011, 01:57 AM
I just got through having this exact problem with a template. Your index page is fine, I assume you have a file called .../template/'subpages' in there? If you do, copy the html into a notepad text file and post it here along with the index page...

I just have an index.dwt file in my /templates folder. Is that what you want the html from?

You haven't learned how to use Dreamweaver templates correctly. Your index page actually looks to be a template file (it doesn't reference a template and it contains editable region definitions).

Your other pages appear to be based upon a template (/Templates/index.dwt) which you made from the index.html file.

I'd say that's the root of your problems.

What I did was edit the main template to look how I wanted it to, created editable regions, and then went to Save As and saved a index.html, about.html, service.html etc... Is this wrong?

Thanks for the help guys.

DWcourse
01-01-2011, 06:16 AM
What I did was edit the main template to look how I wanted it to, created editable regions, and then went to Save As and saved a index.html, about.html, service.html etc... Is this wrong?

You don't create a page from a template by choosing Save As. You create a page from a template by choosing menu>New… Then, in the New Document dialog selecting Page from Template in the left column, choosing the current site in the middle column and selecting the template you want to use in the right column. Once you create the page, you save it as you would a normal page (menu: File>Save).

res
01-01-2011, 11:46 AM
You don't create a page from a template by choosing Save As. You create a page from a template by choosing menu>New… Then, in the New Document dialog selecting Page from Template in the left column, choosing the current site in the middle column and selecting the template you want to use in the right column. Once you create the page, you save it as you would a normal page (menu: File>Save).

Oops, yea that is what I did actually, I forgot about that step.

res
01-01-2011, 03:35 PM
I fixed it.. Thanks for your help.

res

jmichae3
01-05-2011, 04:29 AM
you can put IE browser detection using the following nonstandard IE-specific comment IF coding blocks (IE "conditional comments"):

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537512%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

jmichae3
01-05-2011, 04:31 AM
oops - sorry - didn't notice I was too late... :-) hope that helps anyway

domedia
01-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Conditional comments like that are absolutely useful in some circumstances.

But the main lesson to be learnt here is that you can't take a new piece of software as complex as DW and just guess how to use it.

The documentation is there, use it. 8)