PDA

View Full Version : Layout problem

Kovu
12-28-2010, 12:36 PM
Hi all, I'm kinda new to Dreamweaver and i'm using cs5.
I have stumbled to a problem wich is getting me the past few days a real headache!

The problem is when I type something in my content area I get these nasty gaps all over my layout..
I've googled this problem and noticed alot of people are having the same problem but no solutions..

The only thing I've picked up while 'googling' was that you shouldn't use tables..
Also when in photoshop 'saving file for web' you shouldn't save it as 'images and html' but only as 'images'

Now for my questions:
How to avoid using tables?
And if I can't save it for 'images and html' how do I create my own html for my layout or should I create Css instead :s?

Now I know there is a easier way to avoid all this hastle like editing my content in photoshop but that's not good if my content is going to change from time to time..

gentleone
12-28-2010, 02:47 PM
Look into tutorials that explains from start to finish how to convert a PSD design to HTML the right way.

http://designbeep.com/2010/02/18/38-great-tutorials-to-convert-psd-to-htmlcss/

Kovu
12-28-2010, 03:12 PM
thanks! Will definitly use this site!

Kovu
12-29-2010, 01:36 AM
well I tried to follow those tutorials but they are very hard to follow
I'm not those tuts are for those who have basic knowlegde of coding

Anyone who have a solution to the problem above feel free to help out..

Corrosive
12-29-2010, 08:13 AM
well I tried to follow those tutorials but they are very hard to follow
I'm not those tuts are for those who have basic knowlegde of coding

Anyone who have a solution to the problem above feel free to help out..

Welcome to web design ;) Unfortunately it takes a few months to get your head around it. Accept that and go and follow those tutorials.

edbr
12-29-2010, 08:18 AM
if you look in the templates there are some that offer several basic layouts that you could use or check the templates section , they may help you understand quicker

johnMoss
12-31-2010, 11:39 PM
Re: your images;
Go right ahead and save them using the "for web & devices" from the file menu. Follow these simple rules:
1) If photographic image, save as JPEG.
2) If art or an image with just a few colors, save as GIF or PNG, preferably GIF.
3) Before saving from Photoshop, go ahead and resize the image to either your exact dimensions as you will use it on your site, or as close as possible.
In the midst of this, keep your original image original by using 'save as' and renaming the file, saving of course as PSD. Point being you now have your original plus an editable extra in case you need to make changes to your web image. Save this PSD save as file in the source folder of your template.
Regarding your other problem, copy the html into a notepad text file and load it up on this site so I can see what the problem is...

DWcourse
12-31-2010, 11:45 PM
Regarding your other problem, copy the html into a notepad text file and load it up on this site so I can see what the problem is...

I'm pretty sure the other problem is exporting the HTML from Photoshop as tables (which sounds like the issue here) or as absolutely positioned divs (which is a whole other set of problems).