PDA

View Full Version : Live code is greyed out

srbjwe
12-15-2010, 05:29 AM
In CS5 when viewing a php file the live code option is greyed out. Does anyone know why this might be the case? In fact, split, design, live code, live view, and inspect are all greyed out. If I switch to a html file they are all active again.

edbr
12-15-2010, 05:37 AM
not come across that. do you havea testing server set up?

srbjwe
12-15-2010, 05:46 AM
Yes. I have a testing server setup and a remote server. On the testing I have it pointing to the wordpress root of my localhost and i have checked to make sure the url is correct. On the remote I have it pointing to a godaddy root with wordpress and php installed. I thought that perhaps the live view needed to have remote and testing pointing at a php installation in order to use live view and live code. I can view the pages just fine in the browser by pressing the browser button. I am stumped and I am sure it is something stupid!

srbjwe
12-15-2010, 05:48 AM
BTW, thank you for the quick reply.

edbr
12-15-2010, 06:15 AM
ill have to pass i only ever use local apache testing servers

Dave.cox
04-23-2012, 11:28 PM
I've run into this problem as well. In fact, this has never worked on my production computer, but I recently installed Dreamweaver on my laptop for a project, and discovered it while working on the laptop. The strange thing, the live view works great on the laptop, but not my production PC, even when I duplicate the site conditions.

I would be interested in any thoughts or suggestions anyone might have. Meanwhile, if I figure this out, I'll post that too.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave.cox
04-23-2012, 11:48 PM
OK, the good new is, I just figured this out. Whoo hoo!

While you have the page open, if you have and attached files, such as javascript or css files, click one of those secondary files to select it. (If you don't have any files to click, add it by adding the script to include it. For example: <link href="css/page_layout.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />. After you add the code, then select the file to view from the link at the top of the page. With the view selected, you will be able to select slipt view, or design view. Then you can switch back to Source Code view, and the live view will work correctly.

Of course, you do have to have a testing server connected, or this still won't work.

Dave.