PDA

View Full Version : Need help! 1,200+ page site, messy code.

catherinep
12-13-2010, 07:00 AM
Hello! I'm hoping someone out there can help me out. I recently took on a job updating a 7-year-old website - just a new layout; an easy enough job, right? This website, however, is 1,200+ pages of nightmarish, messy code, none of it consistent (four different layouts currently on the site, at the least - I think they call this a "legacy site"). It's got everything from hundreds of font tags to Microsoft Office HTML. I want to strip all the pages down to the basics, leaving only bold, italics, and the like, so that I can add SSI include coding to the top and bottom of the text. How can I do this on Dreamweaver without spending the next several weeks opening and manually editing all these files? I hope there's a shortcut!

edbr
12-13-2010, 07:30 AM
only find and replace in dreamweaver but it is still going to be a nightmare.
new layout and cpoy paste might be the safest though.
also some includes to repeat commonly used parts might streamline it

Corrosive
12-13-2010, 07:39 AM
I hope there's a shortcut!

Agree with Ed here. I think you've just taken on a lot of work. Find and replace might do some of it but still not an exact science.

You might want to look at a CMS rather than includes and then maybe hand them back a completed design they can't break but put it back on them to re-enter their messy content. Think that's what I'd do.

Welcome to the forum btw.