PDA

View Full Version : User accounts

3mustgetbeers
12-10-2010, 01:18 AM
Hi Guys,

New here so go easy!

I have set up a site in dreamweaver. I am now starting to build a user accounts section into it. I have the sign up & login page. You can sign up and login so it authenticates fine (PHP & MySQL), however I'm not sure where to go from here???

I am pretty new to PHP & MySQL - 1st project!

After logging in the user will get to their account page. At the top I want it to say 'Welcome Back <Name>'. I also want to be able to, as admin, update 1 section of this page (a <div>) and for each user the information here will be unique.

I understand that to present the name I will need to somehow use the username they login with to go to the relevant SQL table and pull back their name. But I wouldn't really know where to begin on the syntax???

As for the admin account updating 1 section of normal users pages, well, obviously the admin will need to input the data for this <div> to the SQL database from the web front end. There will also need to be a search function there to search for relevant user.

I am really unsure where to go from here. I have the Lynda.com Dreamweaver CS5 with PHP & MySQL tutorials and have worked through them fine, however I feel it doesn't hasn't prepared me for what I want to do here. Obviously there is going to be a fair bit of PHP coding in there and also a good understanding of table relationships.

Can anybody shed some light on this, or point me in the right direction of how to get a starting foot? Maybe decent PHP MySQL training guides?

Thanks alot

Andy

edbr
12-10-2010, 01:23 AM
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/php-tutorials.php

3mustgetbeers
12-10-2010, 01:27 AM
edbr

Thanks for that, I probably ought to have looked at the big button that said 'T-U-T-O-R-I-A-L-S'!

In the UK (2:30am) so will have a quick look now and a more indepth look tomorrow - a couple of red wines already so I think it may not sink in right now!

Thanks alot for the prompt reply!

Andy

3mustgetbeers
12-10-2010, 01:40 AM
edbr

Excellent!!!

Already have the user account page to say

'Welcome <php? echo $rowAccount['FirstName'];?>

And working a treat! Think I'll go get my 6 hours an come back bright eyed and bushy tailed to crack on with the rest!

Thanks again,

Andy

Corrosive
12-10-2010, 06:01 AM
I'm looking forward to hearing what these three beers are.