PDA

View Full Version : Adding .PDF file problem

MidwestFilmDude
12-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Hey everyone! I have a small problem adding .pdf files to our health clinic website. http://hunterhealthclinic.org

On the "Services" tab. I have successfully added our "Release of Information Form (.pdf) It works fine w/ no problem.

Now my problem is: I have 3 more .PDF files to add & they will not work. When I click on the link, it takes me to "error page". I added the file the exact same way as the "Release of Info" file.

The differnence is that the 3 new. PDF files were created from an Excel file. I wonder if is causing the error?

Please help me :( This is for a Native American originated non -profit community health center in Wichita, KS. We specialize in serving the underinsured and un-insured.
It would really benefit our patients to download and print these forms.

Thanks and God BLess everyone! This site is a great resource. Im thankful I found it.

-Midwest Film Dude 8-)

Ricky55
12-09-2010, 08:43 PM
First up <title> your page.

Second up you don't and shouldn't be using Flash for your menu.

Frames are also not great and you don't have a doctype.

Can't see the PDF's that you are referring to.

You link to a PDF just like any other file

<a href="yourFile.pdf">Download the PDF</a>

Making sure the path is relative from where you are linking from to the PDF. If you do this it will work regardless of what software you used to create it.

MidwestFilmDude
12-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Hi Ricky, actually I did not create this website. The person who had my job before me created the website. I am currently creating a totally new site, but for now. I have to work w/ the current site & I hate it, lol. The frames tick me off.

I understand what your saying, but why does the .PDF link work for the "Release of Information.pdf" and not the other .pdfs?

I might just add the documents as .jpeg or another format. I really do not want to add it in MS Word format. Cause they could alter the questions.
I hope I made sense.

Thanks

DWcourse
12-10-2010, 03:07 AM
I understand what your saying, but why does the .PDF link work for the "Release of Information.pdf" and not the other .pdfs?

We can't tell you because we can't find the links you're talking about.

jmichae3
12-10-2010, 05:27 AM
you really should get a copy of Acrobat. it is the only one that allows fill-in-and-save forms, and for stuff like this, people like that.
requires more work on your part.

don't use jpeg for forms, it is a lossy format, and looks horrible around hard edges. use PNG or GIF, it is a lossless format (if there are images, use PNG).

jmichae3
12-10-2010, 05:29 AM
waitaminnit. are you using spaces in your filenames? drop the habit now and use dashes or underscores instead. a few servers don't allow dashes - , but will allow underscores _ .

if you absolutely must use spaces, replace them with %20 in your URLs in HTML.

Corrosive
12-10-2010, 05:56 AM
if you absolutely must use spaces, replace them with %20 in your URLs in HTML.

Nah, just don't use them.

MidwestFilmDude
12-10-2010, 06:08 PM
I went ahead and removed the links. I gave up on the .PDF
I am on a deadline so, I am trying to think of a fast way. I think I am going to go w/ PNG format.

I do have Acrobat, but do not have time to create a new form.

There is no spaces in the filenames. I use _underscores

The good news is that I am almost ready on the new site layout, so this current site will be history.

THanks for all your help and responses. See you around

Ricky55
12-11-2010, 12:52 PM
PDF is the only way to go as an image will just open in the browser and look rubbish.