PDA

View Full Version : 'Preview in browser' DW8

yorkshire carper
12-08-2010, 07:51 AM
Hi Ive just installed DW8 on my new win 7 pc. For some reason when I go to 'preview in browser' to see how changes to my pages look prior to uploading it to server the page/s doesnt look as it should do. I'm a total novice really at this and so not sure how to describe how the pages look but the text is there but not in the positions it should be and the background colour is missing and there is a small square in middle of the page which is actually the back ground colour..odd?!

I have added screenshots of the view when 'previewed in browser' with DW8 and the actual webpage when accessed via internet exporer - latest version.

Yorkshire Carper

PS Everything worked fine on my old xp pc. I have set up different browsers like outlook express and firefox as options to choose when clicking to 'preview in browser'..

Corrosive
12-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Looks like a stylesheet path issue to me. That is a guess mind you!

yorkshire carper
12-08-2010, 09:21 AM
Anyone else got any ideas?
YC

Ricky55
12-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Need to see more really mate as Corrosive said above we'd just be guessing otherwise. Can you show us the code?

I've had to design websites for some pretty uninspiring topics but cleaning guttering tops any of mine...

yorkshire carper
12-08-2010, 11:57 AM
does the attached help?

Corrosive
12-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Your stylesheet path is images/styles.css and yet you have a folder called 'styles'. I'm sticking with my original analysis that your stylesheet path is incorrect (or it is a really strange place to put it!).

yorkshire carper
12-08-2010, 12:27 PM
yes i see the style sheet in the images folder and i have just clicked on the styles folder and there is a style sheet in there too,the same one as is in the images folder ie it looks to have been duplicated?
All this aside though why is it that if there is an issue with the stylesheet path as u describe it does my website show up perfectly in all well known browsers online and yet it doesnt when viewed on these very same browsers but when done thru the " preview in browser" option on dreamweaver. Im a total novice but to me i would have thought i wouldnt be able to see the web pages correctly online either if there was a problem with the site?
craig

Corrosive
12-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Ah, sorry! I feel like an idiot (not the first time). I misunderstood your original post. You are right there should be no difference.

DWcourse
12-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Try checking "Preview using temporary file" in DW's Preferences>Preview in Browser. Using a CSS link relative to the site root (starts with a "/") makes the preview on your computer begin looking with your hard drive as the root. When previewing with a temporary file, DW adjusts that to begin with your defined local root folder.

yorkshire carper
12-09-2010, 06:54 AM
Brilliant DWcourse!
I simply checked the 'preview using temporary file' under preferences as you suggested went back into dreamweaver and clicked 'preview in browser' for the page I wanted to view and hey presto there it was looking exactly as it does when viewed online.

Can you expand on and simplify the difference between ticking 'preview in temporary file' and not having the option ticked. ie in so much as what would happen when its unticked thats different to when its ticked when you go to preview your pages!?

And also am I right in assuming that I shall always now have to leave this 'preview using temporary file' checkbox ticked in order to continue to view my site correctly when clicking the 'preview in browser' option?

No matther whether youre able to explain the above in more simple terms or not DWcourse thanx very much for giving me a means of viewing my site properly again!

Cheers
Yorkshire Carper

DWcourse
12-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Can you expand on and simplify the difference between ticking 'preview in temporary file' and not having the option ticked. ie in so much as what would happen when its unticked thats different to when its ticked when you go to preview your pages!?

The difference comes in when you use links relative to your site root (such as /folder/file.html). Without the option checked Dreamweaver previews using the actual file and your browser reads the link as harddrive/folder/file.html. With the option checked DW actually creates a copy of your page, adjusts the link so it is localroot/folder/file.html and serves it to your browser.

And also am I right in assuming that I shall always now have to leave this 'preview using temporary file' checkbox ticked in order to continue to view my site correctly when clicking the 'preview in browser' option?

If you use links relative to the site root, yes. If you use links relative to the document (like ../folder/file.html) it doesn't matter.

I'm glad I was able to help.

yorkshire carper
12-09-2010, 01:31 PM
New I shouldnt have asked you to explain things further! Got to be honest and say your explanations went way over my head but thanx for taking time out to do that anyway. I think I'd be better just sticking to installing new roofs and gutters and leave designing the websites for my business's up to a professional!

One thing you might be able to explain to me though is what would I need to do in order to preview my site in browser without ticking 'preview using temp file' in other words the same way as I used to before i installed dw8 on this new win7 pc?

And sorry if youve already answered this elsewhere in the thread!

YC

Corrosive
12-09-2010, 01:48 PM
I think I'd be better just sticking to installing new roofs and gutters and leave designing the websites for my business's up to a professional!

And us pro web designers promise not to get our ladders out and replace our own roofs and guttering! I think that's what makes the world go round anyway ;)

DWcourse
12-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Basically you need to keep the option checked. I can only assume that it was checked on your old machine but the new installation defaulted to having the option unchecked.

yorkshire carper
12-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Now why didnt I think of the DWcourse!

And to you corrosive,yes youre right that is what makes the world go around! (and if youve any spare time and wanna turn my basic sites into professional ones let me know). Maybe I could sort your roof and gutters out in return!

Thanx again guys
All the best..
YC

Corrosive
12-09-2010, 05:11 PM
And to you corrosive,yes youre right that is what makes the world go around! (and if youve any spare time and wanna turn my basic sites into professional ones let me know). Maybe I could sort your roof and gutters out in return!

I like the idea of a labour exchange! Do you call out to the South West?

DWcourse
12-10-2010, 03:13 AM
Maybe I could sort your roof and gutters out in return!

I suppose getting you to the States is out of the question. Pity I could really use new gutters.

yorkshire carper
12-10-2010, 06:45 AM
If you mean the south west of Sheffield, then the answer's yes!

The states is a touch too far though lol

yorkshire carper
12-11-2010, 01:35 PM
OK guys can you help me now with this.
Ive installed DW8 as you know onto my new win7 pc. I exported/imported all the DW FTP settings from one machine to the other thinking I would simply continue to use DW on the new pc to upload changes to my webpages via dreamweavers own built in ftp programme as I have been doing previously when it was installed on my older xp pc..wrong!
I just cannot get dw to connect to the server even though Ive treble checked the ftp settings . However being a total novice that counts for nothing really i suppose!
Thing is I downloaded filezilla just to see if i could connect with this programme and by entering the briefest of details into filezilla I got a connection right away!
Yer ok youre asking so why's he want to use DW ftp ,well to be honest I just found it much easier doing everything within the one prograame ie making changes to pages then uploading all with DWeaver.
Can anyone help. I guess you will need more info to figure out where I went wrong so please let me know what u need?
Cheers
Craig

Corrosive
12-11-2010, 01:48 PM
It is probably a compatibility issue between DW8 (2005) and Win7 (2010). have you tried the Microsoft or Adobe forums to see if anyone has the same problems?

yorkshire carper
12-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Hi no not tried that. Do you have links to the exact location of those threads at all?

Anyone else got any thoughts on my problem?

cheers
craig

Corrosive
12-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Here you go; http://tinyurl.com/22s4bsw

DWcourse
12-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Corrosive, I love the link!

Even minor errors in the site definition can cause an issue and it's hard to diagnose them without the connection info (which, not surprisingly, you should publish here).

However, DW8 is an old version (CS3, 4 and 5 have since been released and Win 7 didn't exist when it was released, so I'd expect problems. Personally, I'd say it's time to upgrade but you can expect a large learning curve if you do: http://www.dwcourse.com/dreamweaver/upgrading-dreamweaver8-cs.php (and there is more new in CS5 that article doesn't cover).

Ricky55
12-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Or just sack off dreamweaver all you need is a really good code editor. If you use macs try coda or text mate a fraction of the cost and will mean you learn web design properly. Coda is a fantastic app with FTP built in.

Learn web design not a program that only ever acts as a crutch and makes it harder to learn.

I know that's controversial on the dw forum but this forum is about a lot more than just adobes dw.

rennart
01-01-2011, 04:59 PM
hello

I am not sure where to post this, - but need help with
'PREVIEW IN BROWSER'.
Basically, since re-installing DW via CS3, the preview in browser option,
does not show the current local file, just an old one. So recent changes do
not seem to be recognised, if that makes sense.
I have tried checking the 'temporary' option in preferences with no luck.
I also read on the Adobe forum, that I should discard the DW prefs as a new one would be generated when I reopened DW - no luck.
(The files are viewing fine when uploaded.)

This is as far as I have got, so any help would be much appreciated!

DWcourse
01-01-2011, 06:28 PM
since re-installing DW via CS3, the preview in browser option, does not show the current local file, just an old one. So recent changes do not seem to be recognised, if that makes sense.

No, it doesn't make sense. You can't preview an old version of a page if the old version doesn't exist. But here are a few thoughts:

1. Refresh you browser after previewing.
2. Clear your browser cache and try again.
2. Save the file before previewing.
3. Are you making changes to the HTML file or a CSS file attached to it? If your changes on in the CSS file, save the CSS file before previewing (and, if necessary, refresh your browser when previewing).

rennart
01-01-2011, 06:38 PM
1.I have refreshed the browser in Safari
and still I get the old image, but it is correct when viewed online.

I just tried the option preview in browser with Opera and it seems to have worked.
How do I clear the preview memory for Safari if that is what is happening? I have already clicked on 'empty cache' to no avail.

3. I am changing the HTML not the CSS.
I am not sure how to further explain this.

eg.This is the URL for when previewed in Safari
file:///karen/Users/karen/Desktop/rennies%20seaside%20modern/index.html

and this is the URL for when previewed in Opera
file://localhost/Volumes/karen/Users/karen/Desktop/rennies%20seaside%20modern/index.html

rennart
01-01-2011, 07:11 PM
I just tried adding the word Volumes(not sure where this comes from?) in the Safari toolbar and of course it showed up, but how do
I get it to work automatically on Preview as it did before.

DWcourse
01-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Are you saying in Safari file:///karen/Users/karen/Desktop/rennies%20seaside%20modern/index.html gives you the old file and file:///Volumes/karen/Users/karen/Desktop/rennies%20seaside%20modern/index.html gives you the new file?

rennart
01-02-2011, 08:21 AM
yes that is correct.

And it happens similarly on all the files in the site.

any thoughts?

rennart
01-06-2011, 06:31 PM
hello JC
you seem to have disappeared?
Do you think that Safari can be corrupted - if so how do I correct this please?
Or do I just resign myself to using Opera now as the browser?

DWcourse
01-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Sorry but I don't have an answer. My understanding of Mac OS is that those two file locations should be the same file and they are obviously not. You have an old version of the file sitting around somewhere. So even if Safari is misbehaving you have another problem with your Mac set up.

rennart
02-06-2011, 07:50 PM
I think i will have to reinstall CS3 unless I can just reinstall DW.
But am reluctant to do anything until something else goes wrong as
it is a bit of a palaver to reregister software .

I did check with Apple that Safari was installed okay and they took it back
to the factory settings, so it must be my recently re-installed DW I suppose.

DWcourse
02-06-2011, 08:55 PM
You shouldn't have to reregister the software. Just be sure to deactivate it (all program if you reinstall the whole suite). To deactivate go to menu: Help>Deactivate. You will need your serial # to reactivate when you reinstall. Adobe only allows 2 or 3 activations so deactivating is important.