PDA

View Full Version : At Witts End . . . Yes I'm A Noob (Damn-it)

The LP Master
12-08-2010, 01:13 AM
Hi-ho:

I followed a very cool tutorial from tutvid and was able to come up with www.thelpmaster.com (http://www.thelpmaster.com).

I have been trying to create my pages for the nav bar and I keep screwing up the home page, or index.html. I realize that it must have to do with the css, but I cannot figure out how simply create pages to link to the home page that will not adversely affect it.

My page ideas are simple, like the home page - nothing special, no flash or anything - but I am stuck. Miserably so.

How do I do this? Templates?

Thanks in advance - I've read thru several posts and I am fairly confident you all can help me!

Reagards,

-- Will

Ricky55
12-08-2010, 02:01 AM
Your question is a little open ended I would personally recommend some more training and hopefully all will become clear.

I don't like to put people down but I've seen some tutvids on You Tube and he doesn't really use best practices or have much more knowledge than that of what he's teaching.

It's difficult as a beginner knowing which sources to trust as there are so many blogs and teaching resources on the web.

When I read blogs I always look at how the site looks and feels and of course coded you can usually tell if the author knows his or her stuff.

If you can afford it and are serious about learning I would check out Lynda.com. Or get a good CSS book.

DWcourse
12-08-2010, 04:05 AM
Sorry but I, like Ricky, am a bit confused about what it is you're asking. If you can clarify I'm sure folks here will be glad to help.

jmichae3
12-08-2010, 05:33 AM
Hi-ho:

I followed a very cool tutorial from tutvid and was able to come up with www.thelpmaster.com (http://www.thelpmaster.com).

I have been trying to create my pages for the nav bar and I keep screwing up the home page, or index.html. I realize that it must have to do with the css, but I cannot figure out how simply create pages to link to the home page that will not adversely affect it.

My page ideas are simple, like the home page - nothing special, no flash or anything - but I am stuck. Miserably so.

How do I do this? Templates?

Thanks in advance - I've read thru several posts and I am fairly confident you all can help me!

Reagards,

-- Will
one of the things your page lacks (one idea) is clear indication of which page in the navigation you are on. for instance, one of the buttons could simply default to a different color.

if you want dynamic menus, I suggest you take a look at dynamicdrive.com's selection of menus, they are free (and dynamic).

another suggestion would be to get the book O'Reilly CSS Cookbook. thick, $60 book, but worth it. you should know at least a little about CSS beforehand or have a CSS book to help you along if you need help with that. I can't wait for CSS3's rotation abilities...

Ricky55
12-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Don't wait for CSS3 mate use it now!

You'll be waiting a very long time otherwise.

I use it as much as I can when the design calls of it of course.

Not used rotation though as yet.

The LP Master
12-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Hi all:

Thanks for the replies!

I agree, more training and a book to keep on hand would be great. Proly no suprize to anyone here, I am excited about this and in a bit of a rush to get our site up-and-running.

Hopefully I can narrow my question down. The page you are on when you go to www.thelpmaster.com (http://www.thelpmaster.com) is the home page. I now want to create the pages that correspond to the menu bar (Sample, Buy Now, etc.).

As I have tried to do this, I always mess up the arrangement of content on the home page. I initially approached this process like a word doc, saving the index.html as sample.html and so on. Then, after rearranging and deleting lots of css on the sample.html and making it look the way I want it to, the index.html is all out-of-whack. For instance, on the subsequent pages, I don't want the menu bar and I need to resize the images. I figure this is because they are linked due to the css.

How should I create the corresponding pages? Different css? Templates?

I hope this makes some kind of sense to you. Years and years ago, I built a site in MS Frontpage. I loved it! It had multiple pages and was so easy to do - I never had a question or problem that I couldn't figure out on my own and everything worked great. So now, in 2010-11, I realize browsing the web has improved so much. I better get with it and use css, etc.

I humbly submit my questions to you all.

Regards,

-- Will

DWcourse
12-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Well, you can do it that way or you might look into templates but you also need to get a better understanding of CSS.

The advantage of having CSS is a separate style sheet and linking to it is that you can use styles in all the pages of your document. So you need to build your core styles and then create the unique styles that you need for each page. You can do this by giving each page an id and referencing that id in your style name. So for the <body id="home"> page the rule:

#home p {
style info goes here
}

would apply to all paragraphs on that page but not on other pages in your site.

Also, you don't need to do everything with CSS. If you don't want the menu on a page, delete it in the HTML. Also, you can specify the image size in the HTML as well (although as a general rule, you should size an image to the exact dimensions you plan to use it at on the page).