PDA

View Full Version : Blog or Website ?,Wordpress or Dreamweaver ?

spazzer
12-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone could advise, I am looking at creating a website/blog for colleagues who work as train drivers, I would like it so that they can send in stories of the past and present and also be able to show photo's of different things from the past and present including retired colleagues etc
A website where all the old stories these guys had and still have can be recorded for other people to see !
Could anyone advise the best way to go about this ?, I can use dreamweaver for a website but didnt know if wordpress or joomla might be better, have not designed a site with wordpress or joomla before do you think this is what I should do and also how do I design a site with wordpress ?, do I have to install onto my server via fantastico before starting out or can I design the site first then upload to server if I want to ?

Thanks for Help !!!
Nick C;-)

Corrosive
12-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Sounds like a nice site to do. Personally I'd go with Wordpress. It is ideal for this kind of website. You'll need to install it on your server and then apply your own template if that's what you want to do. Nothing better than diving in and getting your hands dirty.

spazzer
12-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Thanks for reply Corrosive,
I think the site would be good, just need somehelp and advice !
Do i need to create a domain name with my hosts at EUK Host and then install wordpress with fantastico to this domain ?, this will use a database on my server ?
And then do I create the website etc from there or can I create the website before uploading to my server, I dont really understand how it all works but think once I get started will be ok, can you advise me how to proceed with this and how you would begin to start this website ?

Thanks Again,
Nick C

Corrosive
12-02-2010, 10:49 AM
If you have EUK Hosts then yes, create an add-on domain (I think), get a URL for it and then do the one click install through Fantastico. Connect to it with FTP and change the files you need to for the design. It will be a learning curve but good skills to have.

spazzer
12-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Hi,
I have installed wordpress to a web domain but after 4 hours cant get it to open in any browser, I have contacted Euk Host who said it is something to do with my cachewith the ISP.
the link i was given is here http://nixwebdesign.co.uk/wp-admin/
can anyone else get the adminpage to load and is there anything I can do to get it working, they said just wait !!!!

Cheers,
Nick C

Corrosive
12-02-2010, 04:58 PM
can anyone else get the adminpage to load

Yes, I can get to it.

spazzer
12-03-2010, 12:54 AM
Hi All,
I'm really annoyed, i dont know if virgin media my isp support wordpress does anyone know of any issues because i cant access my admin panel for wordpress, am so annoyed as would like to access this ?????? :confused::confused::confused::confused:
ps have contacted webhost eukhost and they said there are no server issues, what can i do ???

gentleone
12-03-2010, 09:48 AM
I can get to it as well. Did you try it on another computer if you have one at home. Or it could be a router issue firewall blocking or something like that.

spazzer
12-03-2010, 10:02 AM
Hi All,
Thanks for replies, managed to get in touch with my ISP (Virgin Media) and change the proxy settings, worked fine after that !!!!
Am just playing around with this first but am going to create a website for my work colleagues on a different domain later !
Thanks Again