PDA

View Full Version : should I compress a video file on upload if so how, or increase my upload limit.

Josh
11-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Hi,

I've created an upload script that at the moment only allows the user to upload 20mb files, which isn't very big when they will be uploading 3-4-5minute videos.
So my questions are should I compress the video on upload, if so how, or should I increase the amount the user should upload, bearing in mind the hosting package I have at the moment isn't that big which is why i've limited the upload size to only 20mb.I will be upgrading shortly but I wanted to see how much traffic I got before choosing a package.

Any help would be great,

Thanks,

Josh

davidj
11-30-2010, 04:45 PM
a video like an flv is already optimised for the web

if your project involves video uploading then you will need to spec your server requirements accordingly.

You will just have to restrict videos to 20MB

Josh
11-30-2010, 05:07 PM
Hi,

what do you mean specify the server requirements? do you mean to the user uploading the file?

i allow users at the moment to upload most video file types with a max of 20mb for the time being.

Can I compress to an flv on upload without the user knowing about it? so that if it is bigger than 20mb, the compression will enable it to be uploaded if the compressed file is 20mb or less.
I dont want the user to have to go through the process of conpressing their file so that its less than 20mb. I want to try and make it as user friendly as possible.

thanks

Josh

davidj
11-30-2010, 06:31 PM
cant you over ride the 20mb cap?