PDA

View Full Version : Speed Test - Web Developers Toolbar

WotNow
11-27-2010, 03:48 AM
Hi! I have recently downloaded the above and have been testing my site and have come up with this on practically every page .. The following cacheable resources have a short freshness lifetime. Specify an expiration at least one week in the future for the following resources:
They are js, jpegs, swfs etc.

I have googled the error message but am finding it difficult to understand the jargon .. much of it relating to windows and I am using a mac. Is it some code I put in the head of my files or do I have to write to my hosting provider and ask them to include some code.

Hope some-one can shed some light on this for me, thanks:confused:

Using Dreamweaver CS4 and site is hosted on an apache server. Site is http://www.kimberleywebdesign.com.au/index.html

edbr
11-27-2010, 04:24 AM
add to a .htaccess file
<FilesMatch "\.(ico|pdf|flv|jpg|jpeg|png|gif|js|css|swf)$">
Header set Expires "Thu, 15 Apr 2010 20:00:00 GMT"
</FilesMatch>
this gives a future expires date for the file types mentioned

WotNow
11-27-2010, 06:09 AM
Thanks for that .. how far in advance do you set the expiration and then do you have to change the date again sometime? just before the expiry date?

WotNow
11-27-2010, 07:17 AM
I can see the .htaccess file on my server. I am using Filezilla for FTP cannot get it to download to my local computer. I tried changing the permissions but I get the following message: 550 .htaccess: Permission denied. Does this mean I have to contact my service provider? Thanks

gentleone
11-27-2010, 11:20 AM
Who created the .htaccess file on your server in the first place? Didn't you do that? Otherwise you should be able to overwrite the existing one with your new one. I mean I would like to know what's in the .htaccess file if there is one on my server :)

WotNow
11-27-2010, 08:15 PM
Hi! No I didn't the boys from my internet hosting provider did .. a very long time ago.

gentleone
11-27-2010, 08:39 PM
Hi! No I didn't the boys from my internet hosting provider did .. a very long time ago.
Ask them if they can change the file permissions for you and perhaps it's also wise to ask them what the rules there in now doing.

WotNow
11-27-2010, 09:21 PM
Yes I will do .. thanks