PDA

View Full Version : Anybody familiar with hostgator?

patodjs
11-23-2010, 07:31 PM
hi :mrgreen:

Ok here;s my question. I do have an account with hostgator and I have my site running and everything is good. so Im creating a new site and I wanted to register the domain for the new site but I have been searching and I notice that you can create new domain name right on the cpanel clicking the adon domain option.

but Im not sure If this is the best option for me because Im planing to create a forum and the website will be totally different from my main site and in order to create a forum a need a database entry and I dont know if hostgator will allow me to do that, and i dont know If is creating a SUBDOMAIN?? Or a DOMAIN? Because I want to create my new website at mydomain2.com and thats the address I want, not mydomain2.mydomain1.com

is a little but confusing

Thanks

:D

blake
11-23-2010, 11:58 PM
Addon domain means you already have a different domain name, other than the one you have with Hostgator, and want to add that second domain name to your same hosting account with Hostgator.
An addon domain is separate from your original domain and is another complete web site and will not be a subdomain. Be aware that your addon domain and it's site will still be using the same resources as your original domain on Hostgator servers.
I have one hosting package with a hosting company(not unlimited)..300 gigs of disk space and 3000 gigs of monthly data transfer. I have three business web sites each with it's own domain hosted on this package. One domain is my main domain and the other are my addon domains and I have subdomains within each of the domains. This averages to several 1000 hits day without any problems spread across all three web sites. All three domains and web sites use the same 300 gigs of disk space.
I would also purchase any domain names from a domain registrar other than the company you host your sites with.
Forums can generally use a lot of resources and being on a shared server, if that's what you have with Hostgator, you may want to contact Hostgator and discuss your plans for a forum with them.

patodjs
11-24-2010, 11:53 PM
Thanks a lot man got a better idea !! So my question is there's any admin from this forum that could tell me the hosting plan or a good hosting plan for a forum ?? Cause I don't want to spend extra money if I don't have to...

Thanks

:)

blake
11-25-2010, 12:35 AM
I would suggest you go here http://www.webhostingtalk.com (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/)
Read the reviews and ask questions.

DWcourse
11-25-2010, 05:23 PM
I'd think an addon domain on your existing account would work for starting up a forum. You can always upgrade down the road if necessary. Personally my experience with HostGator has been excellent and when I've needed support they have been helpful and prompt. I'd definitely recommend them.

patodjs
11-25-2010, 06:29 PM
good to know thanks a lot for the feedback now im using the Hatchling Package, im good for now.

Next question LOL

How do you know when you have to upgrade your plan does the server gives you errors? The connection is slow? considering having good traffic and over 2000 members ????

Corrosive
11-25-2010, 06:33 PM
A good host will contact you if you are close to capacity to suggest upgrading your package.

patodjs
11-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Great guys ok so I have my new domain and I created even the wordpress extension and I test the server with dreamwaver and im uploading files no problems so far with that but when I'm trying to view the website from a browser or Internet every browser gives me te error that it can't find the server !! I don't know what's wrong cause dreamwaver is interacting and uploading files to the server I can't even log in into my wordpress account !!

Is there anything that I can do !!!

Cause I think if I'm doing something wrong it would let me sign in into my wordpress account that hostgator create for me :
Or I would be able to see it...
Www.sitename.com/blog/

Thank you

patodjs
11-29-2010, 07:19 PM
It's all good guys the problem was that the domain purchase didn't went trough.

Problem fixed

Thanks

amk2010
04-04-2011, 03:03 AM
There are many hosting companies providing good services e.g StartLogic, Dreamhost, Laughing Squid, IX Web Hosting, AN Hosting, HostICan, Bluehost and many others. So i think you should read reviews about selected host and if possible, go for a trial for couple of selected hosts and analyse the results as per your requirements.
https://imagicon.info/cat/1/1.gif

yaguphire
08-03-2011, 07:55 AM
beware of hostgator. You may see signs of them hiring but can cost you greatly in life. It may seem like a career but in reality you loose more. They will hire you to only dismiss you. This company is racist and do not care about their employees. They also teach you to lie to their customers telling you that they are currently looking or researching this issue, but in reality the agent is talking to his/her higher-up coworkers in order for them to solve issue. So technically speaking the user will never ever get to speak with anyone higher-up, but to only be lied to. I only know this due to working with hostgator. Good luck to everyone.

Corrosive
08-03-2011, 08:11 AM
This company is racist and do not care about their employees.

Can you substantiate this claim please?

They also teach you to lie to their customers telling you that they are currently looking or researching this issue, but in reality the agent is talking to his/her higher-up coworkers in order for them to solve issue.

Don't lots of companies work this way? Hire customer service agents who then ask more technical people to look into customer problems? I don't think that is lying. 'Researching an issue' could well involve talking to a line-manager or other superior. That isn't a lie.

yaguphire
08-03-2011, 08:26 AM
An example: user will call in and furious to ask for manager or supervisor and plans on canceling. this is not allowed at Hostgator. Hostgator agents are not allowed to let user talk to higher ups even if requested. The client is now stuck with an agent and furious. Hopefully this will change. Never the less hostgator put me homeless. I'm not here to rant about Hostgator and going to move on with life. I wish you luck Corrosive and everyone. Regards, Yaguphire

Corrosive
08-03-2011, 08:38 AM
I'm not here to rant about Hostgator and going to move on with life.

That's great and I wish you the best of luck and welcome you to the DWC Forum but, again, I must stress that customer service agents are paid to handle angry customers. That's their job. If every time a customer gets a bit heated the agent passes them straight to a superior/manager then the business would not get managed. Managers would be dealing with angry customers all day.

I have worked on the phones in customer services myself. Everyone who calls up and who is angry demands to 'speak to a manager'. They just do. The job of the agent is to diffuse the situation and turn the customer round. It's not easy and is a very undervalued skill in the workplace in my opinion but, nevertheless, that is the job of the agent and why they are paid.

Also the 'racist' comment will land you in hot water if you are not careful.

domedia
08-03-2011, 02:16 PM
It's hard not to judge this as defamation.

Hostgator is a well known hosting company.

To be honest, it sounds like they fired you, and you're trying to get even.

DWcourse
08-03-2011, 03:59 PM
I recommend HostGator to clients and friends and know a number of people who use them. I have yet to find anyone who is displeased with their service. Sure, they are occasional issues but, in my experience their support people are knowledgeable and friendly. Your comments certainly don't reflect what I have experienced.

ragortue
06-03-2015, 01:03 AM
I think they're already purchased by EIG and since then, their tech support service was no longer the same. https://imagicon.info/cat/6-4/1.gif

Pepito Torres
06-14-2015, 09:27 PM
I don’t have personal experience with them but obviously they are quite popular company, I do appreciate them but I don’t like price and that’s why I prefer exactly similar and much better customer service provider , it’s equal and at times better in all departments while with price it’s far ahead with really reasonable prices.

edbr
06-15-2015, 02:01 AM
how can you compare when you say you have not tried them?? ive deleted the suggestion as it seems a bit spammy in the context. and ill close this thread i think!