PDA

View Full Version : Selecting the Editor

GLSmyth
11-23-2010, 01:23 PM
We are using Zope and have a massive number of changes to make to the pages. One of the tasks is that of changing all of the absolute links to relative and I was hoping that Dreamweaver would be able to help with this. The files do not have extensions, so when I attempt to open a file Dreamweaver does not know what editor to use. I have tried to figure out how to indicate that it should open any file with the Dreamweaver editor but it does not understand.

Is there any way to tell Dreamweaver that it should open a file without an extension with its own editor? I know that the program will not be helpful in many other respects, but if I can get it to assist me with this task then I will be able to save a large amount of time.

Thanks -

george

Corrosive
11-23-2010, 01:47 PM
Do you not get a list and then the option to 'always open files of this type with this program'? Also wonder why your files don't have file extensions...

GLSmyth
11-23-2010, 01:49 PM
All I get is an error message that says, "Can't find a valid editor for this file extension." Zope is a content management system that does not require extensions.

Thanks -

george

Corrosive
11-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Also wonder why your files don't have file extensions...

Nevermind, just Googled Zope. Understand now :)

Corrosive
11-23-2010, 01:51 PM
So, if it is a CMS and the content is database driven do you actually get 'pages' as such?

GLSmyth
11-23-2010, 02:08 PM
Yes, everything is like a "normal" website, but for the fact that languages like DTML are used, which is like a programmable template.

If I can edit the pages with Dreamweaver then I will be able to change the absolute links to relative fairly quickly.

Thanks -

george

Corrosive
11-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Are you able to open the pages in a text editor like Notepad or Notepad++?

GLSmyth
11-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Yes, I can open them with a text editor. The advantage with using Dreamweaver is that I can quickly and easily use that little tool that allows me to drag to the target file, instead of figuring out the path for each one.

Thanks -

george

Corrosive
11-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Hmmm... Yeah, fair point, I can see how that is easier. Sorry, not sure where to go from here. Someone else may be able to help though.