PDA

View Full Version : Will making a validation field based on random database query work?

woofy
11-20-2010, 08:02 PM
I know how to do this I just want to make sure it works. I have a check form extension in dreamweaver that checks if certain fields match others. I am going to use a hidden field which pulls a random word or number from a database. There will be a visible field which is either an simple math equation or a captcha type picture anyway the person signing up will have to type in the field the answer to the equation or pic. The pic will be in the same row as the data which will be included in the hidden field. SO basically I will have a random image from a database matching to a random hidden field. If the user doens't enter the correct value then it doesn't let him sign up. So before I do this does anyone see why it wouldn't work as far as keeping spammers from joining my site?

edbr
11-22-2010, 06:20 AM
sorry, how does this vary from a 'normal captcha' i dont get the part about the hidden field?

woofy
11-22-2010, 05:00 PM
The hidden field will contain the answer. The random captcha will be maybe an equation, like what is 2+2, the hidden field will be the answer "4" and the check form will require that the answer field filled out by the user matches the number in the hidden field "4". I don't know if it does differ from normal captcha I just wanted to make it myself and not involve a third party.

edbr
11-23-2010, 01:15 AM
ah ok i get it , not sure its ok as the hidden field could still be seen by bots. i would suugest rather an image of the answer