PDA

View Full Version : template and spry menu

tony09uk
11-18-2010, 05:54 PM
I am creating a spry tabbed menu which is going to be in located in my template. The menu will be located in a DIV and have 5 tabs to it (as that is what will be required most of the time). I want it to be an editable region. How do I do this?

(As I understand it the spry menu is a css file? Also my understanding is that if you change an aspect of a css file on one page it will be changed in all pages that the css is applied to?)

In some pages the menu will need more than 5 tabs while others may need less. If the above is the case how do I achieve my goal? Should I create several spry menu's with different number of tabs or is there a simpler way?

I hope that makes sense

Many thanks

Ricky55
11-18-2010, 09:25 PM
Spry menus are indeed styled with CSS files but they also need javascript files to power them.

Any changes made to a CSS file will propagate throughout the site as long as all the pages of the site link to and use it of course.

Regarding templates, any changes made in your master template will propagate throughout the site but to make any part of a template unique or editable you have to create an editable region.

I think Spry menus use <ul> unordered lists in which case you would need to make the menu editable and then change it based on your page requirements.

To be honest with you DW templates are poor IMO. You'd be far better using PHP includes. They are easier to work with and implement and if it all possible I'd code the menu yourself with CSS and if necessary jQuery.

http://www.1stwebdesigner.com/resources/38-jquery-and-css-drop-down-multi-level-menu-solutions/