PDA

View Full Version : Can't draw any AP Divs in any files

Rippa
11-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Hi there :) I'm fairly new to Dreamweaver and have come across a sudden problem. For some reason all of a sudden I can't draw any AP Divs anywhere except on the background. When I try to draw an AP div over another layer I can't. When I draw one on the background and then try to move it on top of another AP Div I can't. I just get the black circle with a line through it icon on my mouse. This isn't just on ONE particular page I'm working on, its on all pages I have on Dreamweaver, on completely different templates for different websites I'm working on.

Everything was working fine earlier but now all of a sudden I can't draw any AP Divs. Has anyone got any idea as to why this has happened?

I really appreciate any help! Thanks :)

Rippa
11-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Note: I would also like to add that I can insert a Div onto the background and THEN change the position of it via the Properties panel so that it sits on top of another div. It just wont seem to let me do it manually. Again, any help is greatly appreciated!

teresamar2
11-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Make sure your z-index number of the image you want on top is higher than the ones underneath.

Rippa
11-18-2010, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the reply, I have since found out that I had "Prevent Overlaps" ticked under AP Elements, and thats what was causing the problem.

Corrosive
11-19-2010, 06:09 AM
Errrmmm.... You're not creating your whole page from ap divs are you...??

Ricky55
11-19-2010, 08:55 AM
This is one of the issues with tools like this they can lead to bad practises. I'm editing a site at the moment that was built in this way and it's a nightmare even the smallest text changes are impossible unless they arevthe same length as the existing text.

gentleone
11-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Yes, apdivs based layouts are almost as evil as table based layouts.

domedia
11-19-2010, 01:58 PM
They're just incredible inflexible to use for layout

Rippa
11-19-2010, 02:45 PM
@Corrosive I'm not creating my whole site from Divs no, but I do have 2 AP Divs going on there. I have my general background as an Image but then I have an AP Div for an image going over that because I wanted to create an Effects feature so the image fades in, and I have another Div used for the text on the page.

Corrosive
11-19-2010, 03:56 PM
@Corrosive I'm not creating my whole site from Divs no, but I do have 2 AP Divs going on there. I have my general background as an Image but then I have an AP Div for an image going over that because I wanted to create an Effects feature so the image fades in, and I have another Div used for the text on the page.

If you have your header image set as a background then you can just place your image effect in the div itself and position using padding. No need for a separate div. Also the text can/should also sit in paragraph or header tags rather than divs.

Ricky55
11-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Don't forget any element can be Absolutely Positioned as Corrosive said either use padding or just use absolute positioning on your image.

Rippa
11-20-2010, 11:28 PM
If you have your header image set as a background then you can just place your image effect in the div itself and position using padding. No need for a separate div. Also the text can/should also sit in paragraph or header tags rather than divs.

well basically I'm using the same background for each page. It's a simple layout I made on photoshop with a menu at the top and another bit of text at the bottom. I have tried setting it as the background on DW but it doesn't fit properly. It tiles and I don't know what size canvas I'm meant to use on Photoshop to get it so that it fits across a web page the way it should. So as a solution I just put it in as an Image and center it. Yes I'm a noob, I appreciate your help.

EDIT: Nevermind I just found out how to center the background without tiling :-) Thanks!

Rippa
11-21-2010, 12:08 AM
However I'm still unsure what canvas size I should be using in Photoshop to create the background. For example, NONE of the "Web" preset sizes show the way they should do in DW. I don't get it at all. What size should I make my canvas in Photoshop?

Corrosive
11-21-2010, 06:39 AM
Use pixel widths in both Photoshop and Dreamweaver and the sizes should match. Generally we make sites at 960px fixed-width. You can do fluid-width (measurements in % of screen size) but that will be fairly hard for a noob.