PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweaver preview and browser display differences????

tony09uk
11-14-2010, 04:36 PM
Hi guys I know it probably wont make any difference to my web design abilities so sorry to bother with this question, but i'm intrigued.

Why is it the preview in the dreamweaver is different to what I see in my browser? (whats happening behind the scenes? (your explaining to an idiot so please keep it simple)

tony09uk
11-14-2010, 05:18 PM
O and apart from been intrigued as to why, it is also getting really frustrating as the difference between my design view and how it looks in the browser are soooo very differnt!

Ricky55
11-14-2010, 08:35 PM
Design view should only ever be used as a guide. I personally wouldn't recommend that you use it at all. When I used Dreamweaver I just had code view open and a good web browser for testing.

In Dreamweaver CS4 and 5 you get Live View which gives you a much more accurate view of whats going on.

All browsers render according to the engine that powers them. For instance you have the webkit powered browsers of Safari and Chrome, the Mozilla based Firefox and Internet Explorer which is based on the Trident engine I believe.

Some browsers are much more standards compliant that others. You have Firefox and Safari that are modern and support the latest standards and then you have Internet Explorer especially older versions that don't.

So that explains the difference you are seeing. This isn't to be viewed as an issue though. The Dreamweaver design view often renders pages very badly as its not a fully rendered view. Nearly all my sites are completely broken when viewed in Design view but render perfectly in the browser.

Test in Firefox or Safari if I were you. Making sure of course that your page is rendered correctly in Internet Explorer. I only go as low as IE7 now but this depends on your view / target market amongst other things.

HTH

Ps
The sooner you come away from Design view the sooner you'll understand whats going on behind the scenes.

tony09uk
11-14-2010, 10:58 PM
Ricky thanks for that. I am currently switching back and forth between the two. I think I will get a big boost in my learning curve when I find a good course that I can afford (currently I sticking on stuff that seems like it should be very simple, like creating a CSS in one file, than applying to another like they're designed for:s)