PDA

View Full Version : Faux Columns help

kearnsy
11-10-2010, 02:47 PM
I think i must be missing something here definitely.

Can you look at this (http://www.merseyme.co.uk/halobums/index.html) guys and tell me where i'm going wrong?

Imagine i wanted the main content div to just keep on expanding, how do i get the sidebars either side to move down with the MC div?

In other words, how do i get rid of the big orange gaps either side? so when the user scrolls down the page, the left & right sidebars move also?

Merci

Corrosive
11-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Ah, you don't really want faux columns you want to adapt something like this; http://www.corrosiveonline.co.uk/tutorials_scrolling_content.php

gentleone
11-10-2010, 03:17 PM
when the user scrolls down the page, the left & right sidebars move also?i
You can either set the sidebars to position: fixed or search for a more elegant javascript (jQuery) solution.

kearnsy
11-10-2010, 05:13 PM
Sorry to be a pain guys

Here's what happened (http://www.merseyme.co.uk/halobums/test/Untitled-2.jpg) when i set the left and right sidebar divs to fixed position

As you can see everything moved over to the left, i don't know if it's how i've wrote the css or not.

I've no idea what's going on really

Would anyone be so kind to write the css for what i'm trying to achieve so i can understand what is going on, then i can look at it and study it, instead of me trying to figure out what is going on.

Thanks

domedia
11-10-2010, 05:35 PM
I've no idea what's going on really
This made me chuckle a bit, sorry :)

Seriously though, are you sure you know enough to start this?

kearnsy
11-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Nope, i'm not sure '0) I'm all ears though

It took me a good while to get my head around the basics of floating left/right, so i'm imagining it's going to be something to do with that, and fixed vs scrolling positioning?

Ahhhhh come on put me out of my misery '0)

Once i know what the correct css is, i can study it then you see and work out for myself what causes what to happen, and what happens when i change something around

Corrosive
11-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Ahhhhh come on put me out of my misery '0)

Sorry mate but I certainly don't have the inclination to make that layout 'live'. I personally think you've designed yourself into a corner with those side columns anyway. You'll end up with layout dictating content...

kearnsy
11-11-2010, 08:38 AM
Yeah i see what you mean, i'm not too fussed on it myself the more i look at it, but it is only really meant for me to learn, just so i can get to grips with how it all works, what happens when i float this, or what happens when i do this, that sort of thing, if you see where i'm coming from?

It's probably my strange way of learning things, like guitar when i was a kid,

Everyone else gets chord books, or goes to lessons, not me, I just plug it in, and keep bashing away until I get something I like,

It'll be rubbish at first, then i'll work backwards fine tuning it until i'm happy with it, then the next song would be written completely differently, then the next and so on, no set structure whatsoever.

Can you work this way in design?

edbr
11-11-2010, 09:39 AM
im all in favour of pulling the wires out and trying to reconstruct , but there are standards to obey, Bert Weedons play in a day worked for me

Corrosive
11-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Can you work this way in design?

Yes, that's exactly how I work and learn, just 'give it a go'. I have to add though that part of learning web design (IMO) is knowing what will and won't work as a layout or design. I would personally avoid images where you are looking for areas to grow so backgrounds to content and columns really.

If you can nail in your head how a design will code up you are 99% of the way there.

kearnsy
11-11-2010, 11:39 AM
I see, so basically with that layout i done, it's wrong in the first place?

Wrong in the context that whatever i do to it, it's always going to revolve around the layout rather than the content?

My idea behind it was to basically, make a template of the index, then apply that template to all the other pages in the site and put an editable region in the main content area

The problem i had was when i wanted to add a lot of text to the main content area, when it went past 830px in lenght, everything else just looked wrong, it was ok if i kept it within 830 px, it'd all line up nicely

Then i suppose that's what you mean about the layout dictating the content

So there's no way i could work off the above and get it to look half decent, don't forget, i can always change the images, colour scheme etc. my main objective was just to get scrolling content in the middle, that would expand and look right with the two sidebars

Corrosive
11-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Then i suppose that's what you mean about the layout dictating the content

Yes, this is exactly what I mean.

So there's no way i could work off the above and get it to look half decent, don't forget, i can always change the images, colour scheme etc. my main objective was just to get scrolling content in the middle, that would expand and look right with the two sidebars

I wouldn't say there is no way. You could always use the overflow property on the content div so that anything over your sidebar size gets a scroll bar but this also has its own unique set of challenges.

Every layout can have challenges but I tend to design by 'thinking web' and how I will pull a site together as I am designing.