PDA

View Full Version : Various questions about site re-design

kearnsy
11-10-2010, 02:42 AM
Morning all

I've been experimenting with a re-design for our website www.merseyme.co.uk which is currently live and fully functional and generates about 85% of the work I/we get.

This is what i've come up with for the 'new look' www.merseyme.co.uk/halobums/

So my first question is, what do you thihnk of the look?

Be honest, and i'm definitely open to suggestions as i was struggling to come up with a concept at first.

I wanted to shy away from the obvious design that you'd probably associate with a disco site IE: loads of happy smily faces, people dancing, bright colours etc, and thought i'd go for a more of a 1940's feel

My second question is, what source code from the original site do i need to copy over to the new site? by that i mean, all the meta tags, and the google urchin tracker etc. that's in the <head> element of the site, is it just a case of copying everything over from the old site to the new one?

The site performs well in the google search results for the keywords in my local area, so i'm a bit worried in case i mess things up and the site slips into obscurity you see?

I've also dumped a couple of pages from the old site, will i still need to leave these on the server in case anyone had them bookmarked and they get the 'page can not be found' message?

And is there anything else i need to know, something i haven't though of perhaps?

Thanks chaps.

edbr
11-10-2010, 03:06 AM
I wanted to shy away from the obvious design that you'd probably associate with a disco site IE: loads of happy smily faces, people dancing, bright colours etc, and thought i'd go for a more of a 1940's feel
get that but it is a bit monochromic , maybe lighten the body colour and/ or the content background.
use 301 redirect for the missing pages

DWcourse
11-10-2010, 05:44 AM
Have you considered what happens if someone increases the type size in their browser?

Corrosive
11-10-2010, 05:59 AM
Sorry Kearnsy and you know I'm only being totally honest with you. I don't like the new design at all. I think it is a step backwards and wouldn't inspire me to hire you. I'd think I'm getting a 1940s/50s style disco!

kearnsy
11-10-2010, 10:46 AM
No worries Corrosive, i'm glad your honest, i wasn't too sure about it myself.

Anyway chaps, i've hit on a few problems, if you could help me with them?

I'm having trouble with the main content box in the middle, the only way round the problem is for me to give it a height of 830 px, but what i want it to do is contact and expand, and the rest of the site follows suit, if that makes sense?

For instance, if you look at the home page, the content is more than 830 px, so it pushes the footer down, then on the about us page, the content is less than 830 px, so it leaves a gap at the bottom

How do i get around this problem?

With regards to adding in all the meta data, the google urchin script etc, is it just a case of copying everything over from the old site to the new site?

PS, any good design tips chaps? '0)

gentleone
11-10-2010, 11:29 AM
I'm having trouble with the main content box in the middle, the only way round the problem is for me to give it a height of 830 px, but what i want it to do is contact and expand, and the rest of the site follows suit, if that makes sense?

For instance, if you look at the home page, the content is more than 830 px, so it pushes the footer down, then on the about us page, the content is less than 830 px, so it leaves a gap at the bottom

How do i get around this problem?

Searh for 'equal height columns' or 'faux colums' on google... there are more ways of doing this, but either this or that... you'll have to change your CSS layout like how you have it now.

PS, any good design tips chaps? '0)

Well, like you mention and like Corrosive stated... if you're selling disco stuff then show that in your design. I don't know who your target audience is, but If your main target audience are companies (B2B) instead of private persons... then make a corporate design of it... lots of white in combination with {most of the time) blue. Main point is: design in the first place for your audience, not for yourself.

kearnsy
11-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks G.O. i'll do some reading up on faux columns

I think you've hit the nail on the head there, i did design it for myself, sort of hoping the customers would 'get it'

I'm not too fussed at the moment, as i'm still learning how to do even the most basic of things, and the idea behind the new site was just that, an idea

I'm just happy at the moment i can get the divs to sit how i want them to, that took me long enough, many long nights, scratching my head

Ahh well, onwards and upwards as they say.

gentleone
11-10-2010, 11:54 AM
I believe you're running for quite some time your business, so it should not be too difficult for you to find out who your primary target audience is. Design for them!

Ricky55
11-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Yeah the old site is better. If you get 85% of your business through it why don't you let a pro design it for you?

Just a thought.

Corrosive
11-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Yeah the old site is better. If you get 85% of your business through it why don't you let a pro design it for you?

Just a thought.

Or just don't re-design it at all! If it ain't broken...

If practicing your web skills is what you are about then why not build yourself a hobby site for your favourite activity :)

kearnsy
11-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Or just don't re-design it at all! If it ain't broken...

If practicing your web skills is what you are about then why not build yourself a hobby site for your favourite activity :)

Yup, that's what i done, so i can try out things and learn what & what not to do

Ricky55
11-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Well I wouldn't describe it as not broken. If the old site isn't great no offence.