PDA

View Full Version : php for little football club website

webguy13
11-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Hi,
I have been asked to produce a simple website for a amateur football club. They want to be able to add news/images themselves which is no problem but like you see on any football website they will want tables, results and fixtures on the site which they will want to update.

I just dont know how to go about doing this in php. What kind of structure to go for regarding the updating of the league table and results. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to go about getting something lime this done?

Thankyou for any help.

davidj
11-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Check my signature for a course or I can consult on the project specifically

webguy13
11-08-2010, 12:21 PM
I don't have time to do a course, just need some a basic outline of how to go about it.

Corrosive
11-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Why don't you just use a CMS that has TinyMCE as the text editor? That does tables. Both problems solved in one. We use ModX which I can thoroughly recommend.

webguy13
11-08-2010, 01:11 PM
If it was just for me then ModX would be good but I don't really want to have to teach someone who has no idea how to use something like ModX. What I'm trying to create is something simple and basic.

Corrosive
11-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Once you hand over ModX updating details, adding/editing pages etc. is an absolute breeze. Jeezus, if they can't use a text editor then they shouldn't be allowed a computer!

Insert document >> choose template (suggest just the one) >> add text/images/content through Tiny MCE and publish. They really couldn't handle that no?

The one trick with ModX is to lock down the code with the admin account (you) and then create the customer an account where they can't mess up the code.

davidj
11-08-2010, 01:36 PM
did someone delete one of my posts?

webguy13
11-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Just been thinking about the league table, could I not just have a database that I could order by points, so they could just go into the backend, manually put in the points for each team and the league table would just update the order?

Corrosive
11-08-2010, 01:56 PM
did someone delete one of my posts?

Only the one you asked me to... Different thread though :)

davidj
11-08-2010, 02:46 PM
strange...

I'm sure I posted it

Oh well

davidj
11-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Just been thinking about the league table, could I not just have a database that I could order by points, so they could just go into the backend, manually put in the points for each team and the league table would just update the order?

Yes

I didn't know you knew how to do that!

webguy13
11-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Yeah I can do that, I was just thinking about it to much, thought it would be alot more complicated than that.

davidj
11-08-2010, 03:48 PM
yes

just have fields to enter the stats and save them off to your db

If you include a date field you could archive old ones and then generate performance graphs based on legacy data