PDA

View Full Version : Blog Help for Newbie !

spazzer
11-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Hi,
I have no idea how to include a blog for a client I have designed a website for, I know what a blog is but would maybe like to create one for the website I designed at www.drivingschoolnorthampton.com (http://www.drivingschoolnorthampton.com) .
I would obviously want my client to be able to update her own blog, can anyone advise the best practice, best type etc to achieve this !
Am new again to this so go easy with me !!!!!!!!!

Cheers, Nick C;)

gentleone
11-05-2010, 08:00 PM
I believe WordPress rules at the moment.
http://wordpress.org/

spazzer
11-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Thanks for reply, can I use the template from my site in a wordpress blog so that the blog I create is the same style as the website I designed and can the client update the blog themselves ?
Do I have to link from the website to the blog ?

Thanks for help :razz:

DWcourse
11-05-2010, 08:40 PM
No, a Dreamweaver template won't do it and, even if it would, it's likely that it would't accomodate all the blog functionality And, unfortunately, creating and customizing WordPress "themes" isn't a trivial matter. My best suggestion would be to find a WordPress theme that's close to what you want and customize it to match your pages as close as is possible. It's really not unusual for the blog to differ a bit from the main site.

gentleone
11-05-2010, 08:44 PM
You can integrate WP on an existing site, by installing it in a sub directory of your web server. A WP blog is all just HTML & CSS, so you can give the blog the same look and feel like the rest of the site.

DWcourse
11-05-2010, 09:00 PM
You can integrate WP on an existing site, by installing it in a sub directory of your web server. A WP blog is all just HTML & CSS, so you can give the blog the same look and feel like the rest of the site.

Well HTML & CSS and PHP and a database. And the bits and pieces are scattered around in numerous files.

spazzer
11-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Hi,
My web host can install Wordpress on the server which uses one of my databases , I,m assuming this would be a good start ?
Any advice after I've done this ?
Thanks Again

gentleone
11-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Well HTML & CSS and PHP and a database
Of course not to forget PHP and MySQL, but I was more referring with my answer that the output is HTML which is styled with CSS, so design-wise you can make it pretty much the same as the rest of the site.

And the bits and pieces are scattered around in numerous files.
Yes, so he'll need the Firefox web developer toolbar and Firebug intensively to debug and to trace the files/includes.

Ricky55
11-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Its not that hard to create a theme for WordPress. Check out CSS Tricks he has some video tuts on the whole process from Photoshop design to HTML and CSS to WordPress theme.

I wouldn't just buy a template if you're wanting to learn web design. Add a new string to your bow. Besides learning how to build sites with a good CMS such as wordpress is always going to useful for the future.

Ricky

DWcourse
11-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Wow! I love WordPress and use it a lot (actually sold some premium themes for a while) but I wouldn't underestimate the challenges it offers to first time users. I wouldn't buy a theme either but there are hundreds of free themes available that would be worth checking out.

Getting it installed is a good first step. As a second step, before I'd even worry about design, I'd familiarize myself with the interface and WP's various parts:

Posts, pages, comments, sidebars, widgets, plugins, etc.

Ricky55
11-06-2010, 01:29 AM
The back end of WP doesn't take that much learning though does it? All my clients pick it up in no time. That's the beauty of it.

As for themes, sure there's a learning curve but if you already know HTML and CSS then it's not that much of a leap.

DWcourse
11-06-2010, 02:02 AM
The back end of WP doesn't take that much learning though does it? All my clients pick it up in no time. That's the beauty of it.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant familiarization with how WordPress put a site together. From an end user point of view it's fairly simple although in my experience a lot of people really don't use a lot of the functionality that's there (and they really should).

As for themes, sure there's a learning curve but if you already know HTML and CSS then it's not that much of a leap.

I'd say "already know HTML and CSS" is the key. You're going to be hand coding which isn't as forgiving an environment as you'll find in Dreamweaver. I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to do that, I'm just saying that that might be a big step for a relative new comer and they should be prepared for it.

I'd also recommend editing WordPress files by way of ftp with a good text editor (I use BBedit) rather than using the built-in editor. And backing up your site files frequently during the process is also a good idea.

Ricky55
11-06-2010, 02:10 AM
Totally agree DW, you need to know HTML and CSS well before you even think about creating a theme otherwise you'll come unstuck very quickly.

I use Panics Coda myself. I don't even use Dreamweaver at all these days, only for one older site that I have to edit that uses Spry that is easy to edit in DW.

Although Dreamweaver can make web design less daunting to get into I sometimes think after a while it prevents people learning more when they don't venture out of design view.

DWcourse
11-06-2010, 02:51 AM
I agree that Design View can become a crutch. I alway recommend Split View from the start and emphasize that you have to learn HTML and CSS in order to successfully create web pages no matter what program you use. To me Dreamweaver is an excellent learning tool and an excellent tool within its limitations. I would expect most people who are serious about web design to move beyond it at some point and explore CMS systems, straight coding etc.

But, personally, I still find it very useful for banging out small sites, for quick prototyping and (OK, I'm going to admit it) for reminding me of the CSS property names and syntax. Even when I'm editing CSS for WordPress, I keep WP open and occasionally build a style rule there and copy it over.

spazzer
11-07-2010, 12:26 AM
Thanks for replies again, can anyone explain if I create a web blog for my client how does she update it so I dont get involved etc, do I give her the login details ?, can anyone advise ?

Cheers,
Nick C

DWcourse
11-07-2010, 03:25 AM
You give her login details (and probably a quick overview). You should also be aware that WordPress updates on about a quarterly basis (occasionally more often for security updates). Updating is a simple process but it still needs to be done.