PDA

View Full Version : Help with inserting CSS and HTML into DreamWeaver CS5

BLaZn
11-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Hello everyone,

Recently, i've been asked to design a website, but i'm on a very tight schedule and as much and any help will be really appreciated.

I basically don't know what I'm doing with any of it, but the problem I face at the moment is this; I have created a basic layout of a webpage in DreamWeaver which consists of some tables. I have a navigation (http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1626321&page=1#) bar (specifically the Mega Drop Down Menu, which I purchased from Code Canyon) that I wish to insert into one of the tables, namely the second one down which runs horizontal. I believe (and I could be horribly wrong here) that for it to display correctly on my index page for the website, that I must paste the HTML code into the code section when my cursor is in the aforementioned table. And then I attatch a Style Sheet by clicking the icon on the right hand side of the window (at the bottom of the CSS styles pane).

However, when I paste the HTML code in, it doesn't display properly (it either completely fills the screen with rubbish or gets stretched in a strange way). And then when I try to attatch the CSS file, it simply changes the font of everything on the page and makes the background white.

I have been at this for hours and feel I am missing something blidingly obvious, but Google hasn't helped at all with this matter.

Once again, as much help as possible would be appreciated and many thanks in advance.

d a v e
11-03-2010, 04:57 PM
to ask the obvious question: if someone asks you to build a site and you " basically don't know what I'm doing with any of it" then why agree to build it?

if you still feel you want to go ahead then can you upload what you have so far and post a link (you upload into a subdirectory called e.g testing i.e. www.yoursite.com/testing/index.html)

BLaZn
11-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Without wanting to sound cocky, because I want to learn.

I hope to be putting some of the website online today, so as soon as I do i'll post a link to it and you can see where I'm going wrong.

domedia
11-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Also remember that anytime you try to start something you have not done before, read the corresponding section in the manual, or a tutorial. This will help greatly.

I see you're getting help on http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1626321&page=1#

BLaZn
11-03-2010, 06:11 PM
I've been following tutorials, but so far I've struggled to find much that really helps with HTML and CSS.

Corrosive
11-03-2010, 06:20 PM

Nothing at all wrong with that as long as you want to learn the right way. You are a brave person taking on a site for someone with a tight deadline at learning stage mind you.

If you really want HTML and CSS then start here; http://www.w3schools.com/

gentleone
11-03-2010, 07:54 PM
or read this:
http://articles.sitepoint.com/article/html-css-beginners-guide

edbr
11-04-2010, 03:31 AM
good for you! hope you're not tied down to a really tight deadline though, it takes time. the more you know , the more you find you dont know.
welcome to the forum

BLaZn
11-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I actually figured out where I was going wrong. Now, however, i'm in the process of creating a photo gallery which (hopefully) the client will be able to update. I've been researching this for some time to try to find the best method.

One which I came across was using phpFlickr and Lightbox 2. I've installed Lightbox 2 with few problems, but i'm having difficulty with phpFlickr. So if anybody could offer some assistance that would be great! There's a number of tutorials on the internet, but I don't find any of them detailed enough.

If anybody has any ideas for a gallery which the client can update (bearing in mind they have limited knowledge of computers, even worse than me!) then please let me know.

Many thanks again.

Corrosive
11-05-2010, 02:55 PM
If you want to hand-build it then I guess you are going to need a dynamic PHP file upload to a database; http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/vtm/uploading-files.php and then to echo out those again as variables into the HTML for Lightbox2.

BLaZn
11-05-2010, 04:49 PM
I'm going to be honest, I don't really know what that post means. I know I have to upload the relevant php file (ie phpFlickr). I just don't know what code I have to put into DreamWeaver, where it goes and which php files I have to edit for it to access my account.

Corrosive
11-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Oh right, sorry :( I was kind of answering about doing it from scratch. Not used phpFlickr before.

BLaZn
11-05-2010, 05:17 PM
No worries, have you ever made a photo gallery for a website before where it's easy to update with new photos? I'm thinking something like thi: http://www.the-plug.com/photos/jump-around/jump-around-041110

So a design where you provide the links to your photos (or a similar method), it converts them to thumbnails and allows you to view them full size in lightbox when you click on them.

Again, i've got the feeling i'm missing something big here. I see galleries like that all the time, so it cant be that difficult, surely?

I really appreciated the help, I know my understanding of all this isn't the best, but I really need to make things happen. Whilst i've read alot of documentation, I can't afford to read up on everything concerning HTML/CSS/PHP etc.

Corrosive
11-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Yes, I've used Lightbox, Thickbox and Colorbox loads of times for photo galleries. That is the easy bit. Making it 'client-proof' is the hard part lol. I have done one site using ModX and a photo gallery plug in that does what you need. It is an awesome CMS in general to be honest.

BLaZn
11-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Sounds good, is that quite similar to the link I posted? And if so, is there any chance you could show me how to use it?

Corrosive
11-05-2010, 05:46 PM
Sorry, ModX is a whole CMS (Content Management System) set-up that we use to allow clients to do their own content updates/changes. There is a plug-in for it that does what you want but you'd need to base your whole site around it; http://modxcms.com/ I'm afraid I don't know any plug-ins that will do it independently but I'm sure some of the others will have some ideas.

BLaZn
11-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Yeah I just realised that when I googled Modx. Hmm I can't believe there isn't a simple way to do this!

Corrosive
11-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I'm sure there is. It's just that, as you learn to code, simple doesn't seem such an issue any more.

BLaZn
11-05-2010, 06:24 PM
One last thing, I notice you're in Bristol (as am I) and do Web design/teach. Would you be interested in helping me finishing off everything ive got so far and getting this thing up and runnning. I've kind of got to the stage where I can't do anymore without some real help.

Obviously i'd pay you for your help. Let me know if you're interested.

Corrosive
11-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Mail me through my website and we can have a chat.

BLaZn
11-05-2010, 06:37 PM
I've messaged you via your contact page.