PDA

View Full Version : Came across this...

kearnsy
11-02-2010, 04:34 PM
What do you guys think? sound good?

http://www.medialab.com/index.php

Corrosive
11-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Yeah, I've looked at sitegrinder before. It does look like a good product but I have some reservations. Firstly you are taking the human/logic element out of design and I've yet to be convinced that is a good idea. The other is that you have to construct your PSD file in such a way (with layers etc) that it seems to make the PSD process more complicated so I wonder if what you gain in not coding you lose in more complicated Photoshop work.

If I couldn't code I'd consider it. Seeing as I can... No.

gentleone
11-02-2010, 07:14 PM
I had a look at the code from a sample site and if you don't care how the site looks like 'under the hood' then you can consider to go for a service like Site Grinder. I'm also happy that I learned it the hard way (reading, practicing, trial & error and a lot more reading in between) so that I would not have to rely on a service that gives a code like this:

<div id="top">
<div id="page">
<div id="mihailapugeanportfolio" class=""></div>
<div id="linielogo" class=""></div>
<div id="i3967graphicdesignbuttonbutton"><a onfocus="blur()" href="graphic.php" class="nm" title="Graphic Design button"></a></div>
<div id="i3971i360photographybuttonbutt"><a onfocus="blur()" href="360restaurant.php" class="nm" title="360 Photography button"></a></div>
<div id="i3959logobuttonbutton"><a onfocus="blur()" href="logo.php" class="nm" title="Logo button"></a></div>
<div id="i3963webbuttonbutton"><a onfocus="blur()" href="web.php" class="nm" title="WEB button"></a></div>
<div id="i360pmenu" class="PMi360button vertical_menu c999"><div>
<!-- --><ul><li style="padding-top:4px;"><a href="360restaurant.php" onmouseout="P2H_StartClock();" onmouseover="P2H_MenuItem(1);">RESTAURANT</a></li><li><a href="360showroom-page.php" onmouseout="P2H_StartClock();" onmouseover="P2H_MenuItem(1);">SHOWROOM</a></li><li><a href="360hotel-page.php" onmouseout="P2H_StartClock();" onmouseover="P2H_MenuItem(1);">HOTEL</a></li><li><a href="360realestate-page.php" onmouseout="P2H_StartClock();" onmouseover="P2H_MenuItem(1);">REAL ESTATE</a></li><li><a href="360expo-page.php" onmouseover="P2H_MenuItem(1);" onmouseout="P2H_StartClock();">EXPO</a></li><li><a href="360church-page.php" onmouseout="P2H_StartClock();" onmouseover="P2H_MenuItem(1);">CHURCH</a></li><li><a href="360auto-page.php" onmouseout="P2H_StartClock();" onmouseover="P2H_MenuItem(1);">AUTO</a></li></ul><!-- -->
</div></div>
<div id="dunga" class=""></div>
<div id="dungafooter" class=""></div>
<div id="homebutton" class="layergroup_button cBEBEBE"><a onfocus="blur()" href="index.php" class="nm"><ins>HOME</ins></a></div>
<div id="aboutbutton" class="layergroup_button cBEBEBE"><a onfocus="blur()" href="about.php" class="nm"><ins>ABOUT</ins></a></div>
<div id="i2164logobutton" class="layergroup_button cBEBEBE"><a onfocus="blur()" href="logo.php" class="nm"><ins>LOGO</ins></a></div>
<div id="i2166webbutton" class="layergroup_button cBEBEBE"><a onfocus="blur()" href="web.php" class="nm"><ins>WEB</ins></a></div>
<div id="graphicbutton" class="layergroup_button cBEBEBE"><a onfocus="blur()" href="graphic.php" class="nm"><ins>GRAPHIC DESIGN</ins></a></div>
<div id="i360button" class="layergroup_button cBEBEBE"><a onfocus="blur()" href="#" class="nm" onmouseout="P2H_StartClock();" onmouseover="P2H_Menu('PMi360button', 50, 0, this);"><ins>360 PHOTOGRAPHY</ins></a></div>
<div id="blogbutton" class="layergroup_button cBEBEBE"><a onfocus="blur()" href="http://blog.lapugean.com" onclick="target='_blank';" class="nm"><ins>BLOG</ins></a></div>
<div id="liniemeniusus" class=""></div>
<div id="copyright2010lapugeancoma" class="text_link ">
<!-- --> <p> Copyright 2010 lapugean.com. All Rights Reserved.</p>
<!-- -->
</div>
<div id="blastwavehostingbutton"><a onfocus="blur()" href="http://www.blastwave.ro" onclick="target='_blank';" class="nm" title="Blastwave Hosting"></a></div>
<div id="i360vrrobutton"><a onfocus="blur()" href="http://www.360vr.ro" onclick="target='_blank';" class="nm" title="360vr.ro"></a></div>
<div id="lapugeancombutton"><a onfocus="blur()" href="http://www.lapugean.com" onclick="target='_blank';" class="nm" title="lapugean.com"></a></div>
</div><!-- /page -->
<div id="footer"><div id="innerfooter">
</div></div><!--/footer-->
</div><!-- /top -->

Corrosive
11-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Yes, that isn't very clean or pretty is it!

gentleone
11-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Yes, that isn't very clean or pretty is it!
Yeah, everything will be wrapped in a div tag and I had also a look at a stylesheet which was full of position absolutes.

kearnsy
11-02-2010, 09:43 PM
I see, so with the absolute positioning, it doesn't leave any room for the site to contract/expand?

It does sound like a good sales pitch, personaly, i'd like to learn how to do it myself

Ricky55
11-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Its crap! I'm editing a site at the moment that was built by someone else using software similar to this and its a total nightmare and in the end it takes you longer than it would just to do it properly by learning.

If you just want a website and don't want to learn then I'd just create WordPress site and buy yourself a really nice template from theme forest or somewhere. This would be quicker, look better and would be far easier to maintain.

If you do want to learn, we'll all help you.

Ricky

kearnsy
11-03-2010, 09:38 AM
I'll take your word for it chaps, it's the old saying i suppose...if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is

Corrosive
11-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Its crap!

They should put that quote on their advertising material!

domedia
11-03-2010, 04:22 PM
The example sites seemed to work pretty well though.

I'm getting a demo version to try out.