PDA

View Full Version : PDF files disappear

paulcliman
11-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Have searched the forum but couldn't find an answer.

Recently updated to CS5.
If I set a link on an image or text to go to a PDF file, the PDF window flashes up on screen momentarily and then disappears.
This is something new and seems to coincide with my upgrade.
I use Windows 7.
Any ideas ?
Thank you in anticipation for advice
PC

DWcourse
11-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Not all browsers can display pdf files natively. So your browser is probably downloading the file. You can install Adobe's Acrobat plug in (or a similar plugin) if you want to be able to read pdfs in your browser.

paulcliman
11-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Thank you very much for your swift response.
This problem did not exist last week and I have never had problems with such links.
I have the same browser now as before; the only difference is CS5 rather than CS4 and Acrobat 9 extended instead of Acrobat 8.
If you think I still need a plugin, where do I obtain it please ?
Amicalement
PC

DWcourse
11-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Sorry, looks like I might have misinterpreted your question. Does the pdf window flash in Dreamweaver or when you are testing your links in a browser?

paulcliman
11-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Hello again and thank you,
Yes, that's exactly how it happens - a quick flash of window and .... pouf ! disparue !
Can you help, please ?
Amicalement
PC

DWcourse
11-03-2010, 05:49 AM
Hello again and thank you,
Yes, that's exactly how it happens - a quick flash of window and .... pouf ! disparue !
Can you help, please ?
Amicalement
PC

But the question was:

Does the pdf window flash in Dreamweaver or when you are testing your links in a browser?

paulcliman
11-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Ah, sorry ......
The links are to PDF files to be opened in a "_blank" window
The same thing (almost) happens when previewed in Dreamweaver and when viewed on the web:
Chrome - displays the page normally, but the window heading is a temp file of Adobe Acrobat 9 extended; when I close this window I have a completely blank window, heading 'title.pdf' i.e. the effect I was seeking
Firefox - the same result as Chrome
IE - a blank window appears briefly (too quickly for me to read the window title) and then disappears.
This worked perfectly before upgrading to CS5 and Acrobat 9 Extended Pro !
Paul