PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what i've done wrong

kearnsy
11-01-2010, 09:53 AM
Morning all

I'm not sure if this is something i've done wrong, it probably is, but here goes

I'm practicing learning dreamweaver & how things work with a fantasy site www.dialaweed.com (http://www.dialaweed.com) but i've hit on a problem

There seems to be a problem with the container div and the main content div, when i add a load of lorem ipsum text to the main content div it doesn't expand how i'd imagine it to (IE: the content could go on forever if i wanted it to)

I've tried not specifing a height, but then the container div aligns to the bottom of the second set of images down the left and right hand side of the page, and i imagine that's not right?

Also, when i add the lorem ipsum, the main content div only goes so far before the background colour (black) of the body takes over

So i was wondering if anyone can tell me where i've gone wrong?

What i'm imaging in my head is that the container and main content should just keep on expanding no matter what i put inside

I'm wondering if it's got anything to do with how i've floated/cleared my divs?

thanks folks

Corrosive
11-01-2010, 10:08 AM
Try actually wrapping each column in a div so left-column, maincontent and right-column and then floating each. Then take the height off of maincontent and it should expand fine. Oh, you should take the float off the footer as well, not needed.

kearnsy
11-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Thanks corrosive, i sort of know what you mean, but i'm failing miserably, could you explain how i add a div to each of the columns, or even better put up the code so i can look at it and try and understand what is going on?

I've tried it myself, but it keeps throwing everything out of proportion

sorry to be a pain

gentleone
11-01-2010, 11:43 AM
What you have would be simply a 3 column CSS layout with a header and a footer. It's also not necessary to wrap each image in its own div. One left column div is enough to hold the left images and for the right images would be one right column div enough.

kearnsy
11-01-2010, 02:34 PM
I've tried pretty much everything now chaps, and still can't get it to do what i want,

The main content div in the middle just wont expand for some reason

kearnsy
11-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Ok chaps, i've managed to work it out, (i think) Phew!

The main content is expanding now, now i'm wondering how do i get the images down the left and right hand side to scroll down as the user scrolls down the page if that makes sense?

Any ideas on that one?

Thanks

DWcourse
11-01-2010, 04:39 PM
You want to use the CSS position:fixed property. But positioning can be a bit tricky make sure the parent container has CSS position:relative applied.

kearnsy
11-01-2010, 06:23 PM
I best stock up on coffee, tonight could be a lonnnnnnng night

Thanks guys i'll have a play around and see what happens

Trial & error is sometimes a good way to learn.

Only wish i knew what half the other css properties were for, hopefuly that'll come with time.