PDA

View Full Version : Creating Dreamweaver membership site

uzbyte
10-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Hi! I'm new, so apologies for asking questions that may have already been covered to death.

I used CS4 recently to make a webpage. I now want to turn it into a membership site. Some features I'll need are: Paid user registration, password protection for certain pages, auto password generation/recovery... Down the line (after I figure out the first part, heh) I'd like to add a shopping cart feature for purchases and a nonpay/membership access forum (ie there will need to be multiple levels of membership). The overall gist is that user's will pay to become a member and subsequently have access to protected pages.

Now I must be blunt, I am clueless when it comes to PHP and MySQL. Complete newbie. I've looked at the big name CMS sites but it seems needlessly complicated to use given that I already have my site the way I want it in dreamweaver...and I'd like to continue using dreamweaver. I looked at php scripts but again it's hard to determine how good they are and I'm not well versed in the language so modifications could be a problem for me down the line. Also most of the open source ones have very limited documentation. :???: My question to all of you who are kind enough to humor me is: What would you suggest? Where should I begin? I would be grateful for information on scripts that can be easily embedded, or even more preferably dreamweaver extensions that may ease my transition to PHP. I know CS5 apparently has some new features for PHP stuff...do you think it would be worth the upgrade? And if so what is the scope of what I can do with just dreamweaver without having to be a php programmer?

Thank you again... I know this information is all over the place but I'm not knowledgeable in the verbiage enough yet to really even understand what is being offered some of the time. Also if you just have sites that are good resources (ie good place for someone in my position to begin learning more) that would be appreciated as well. Thanks! :mrgreen:

Corrosive
10-29-2010, 03:13 PM
To be honest I am very surprised that you have dismissed the wide range of CMS available out there. I know for a fact that Drupal does all of that (and more) and you can retain your current layout. You will just need to 'plug it in' to the CMS functionality and then extend the modules you need. The beauty of this is that everything is aimed at the Drupal platform and so you won't get conflicts as you may get with numerous DW extensions that may come from different suppliers.

All you need for Drupal is a local server for development and you can still use DW. CS5 (as you say) does have further support for CMS but if that vs using something like WAMP seems a little expensive for the 'extras' you are getting then try the free option first.

Hope that helps and welcome to your learning curve!

edbr
10-30-2010, 02:20 AM
Paid user registration, password protection for certain pages, auto password generation/recovery
this will be difficult for you to create without a reasonable knowledge of php mysql. and it is unlikely to find a readymade script to suit all you need. so im afraid its learn or cms, i wouldnt discount joomla as there are many ready made modules that might get you started although i joomla comes wity a lot of bloated code making modifying a PIA often. Corrosives advice is pretty sound frankly

Happy halloween Toby :)

Corrosive
10-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Happy halloween Toby :)

Thanks Ed. It's only taken me two days to recover from that mail you sent me!

mys_21
11-05-2010, 07:04 AM
I have seen previous threads on the taps and it did not help me much. My problem is when I get an error when I try to create a database connection. Error I get is:

HTTP Error Code 404 File Not Found. Here are some possible reasons for the problem:

1) There is no testing server running on the server machine.
2) the testing server specified for this site does not map to http://localhost/_mmServerScripts/MMHTTPDB.php URL. Make sure that the URL Prefix maps to the root of the site.

yes please help

edbr
11-05-2010, 07:25 AM
off topic but i'll answer if you answer this
what is 2+2 = ?

mys_21
11-05-2010, 07:34 AM
what is meant......????
answer four sir...

edbr
11-05-2010, 07:46 AM
thanks i wanted to be sre you werent a spam bot
it looks from your warning that yo do not have a testing server on your computer . to process php i would advise using something lik wamp, or xxamp to install appache, mysql and php

mys_21
11-05-2010, 08:03 AM
I've installed xampp sir......!!!!!
but still could not...........?????

edbr
11-05-2010, 08:18 AM
if you type http://localhost in your browser do you see the xxamp home page ?
if not it is not installed correctly. if you do you must check your site definitions in dreamweaver to be sure you have defined your testing server

mys_21
11-05-2010, 08:23 AM
sorry sir my first time using dreamweaver ......!!!!
I might know how to see the site in Dreamweaver ....????

edbr
11-05-2010, 08:34 AM
site>manage sites . new site and it will bring up a dialog box for you

mys_21
11-05-2010, 09:31 AM
yes I was already in there but I am still confused .....???
I have my site content but still can not sir ....???

domedia
11-05-2010, 07:30 PM
You have to read the manual or have some basic information about Dreamweaver to use it. You cannot make a site without this knowledge, mys.

Start with getting used to the interface (through tutorials or the manual) and learn about the software, THEN try to build something real :)