PDA

View Full Version : Allow users to upload videos to my website, and other technical bits.

Josh
10-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Hi,

I'm not sure where I should post this so i'm sorry if it's in the wrong section,

I'm creating a website, a kind of talent website that needs users to record themselves performing singing, dancing etc, and then they have to upload the video to my website.

it's quite complex what I want to happen. and I'm unsure of how I might do this.

first off the user would create an account

then the user would select a competition they wish to enter. click ENTER which then takes them to the paypal page to pay the fee for the competition. once paid it re-directs them to the website.
(all of that is pretty simple to do when I get my reading goggles on)

however this bit I don't know.

then I would like to have it so that when the user then goes to that competition, say for instance DANCE COMPETITION, they've entered it, paid the fee. and now they've gone back to it and it displays "AWAITING UPLOAD" and then they could if they want enter into other competitions, and the same thing would happen, it would know they've entered that competition and is awaiting the video to be uploaded. when it's uploaded it will go back to DANCE COMPETITION or whatever.

the user would then click "AWAITING UPLOAD" and upload there video, (to a database that I have access to and so I can watch the videos)

i don't want the videos to automatically get placed onto the website, as I want to have control over where I put the videos, and which ones get published.

I also need some way of when the user uploads their video to me, I know which user account has uploaded it, and which category it came from so that it can be judged and I know who it's from.

can all of this be done, I would appreciate any help on this.

thanks,

Josh.

Josh
10-24-2010, 11:50 PM
I have just seen on drop box, that it allows me to have a pro account for $19.99 a month which gives me 100gb upload.

is that something I could use?

users will be expected to perform 5 minute or so videos and then upload them.

I could create a link to the drop box folder and they could upload to that.

some files will be deleted on a weekly basis so I shouldnt reach the limit, although is 100gb an ok amount of space for this type of thing?

just trying to look at different options.

--edit--

also found media fire - unlimited file uploads which I could embed the link to my website so user can upload to those files, and then I can view the videos, and download ones that I want to put onto my website, is that something I could do?

Josh
10-25-2010, 12:41 AM
maybe not, it's not really very professional way of doing it, thought it might be but I'd like to be able to just click "AWAITING UPLOAD" and it go straight for them to browse to their folders and upload to my database.

argh!!!!

edbr
10-25-2010, 02:12 AM
hows are your php skills?

Josh
10-25-2010, 03:58 AM
They are non existent at the moment! :smile:

but I am willing to learn if that is the way I need to go, I really want it to work, just need abit of guidance and direction :)

I'm going to bed but will be back on it tomorrow.

Josh.

Corrosive
10-25-2010, 07:00 AM
Josh, although you are doing well, you've not even got the hang of CSS and HTML yet. You need to slow down and accept that this site isn't going to be ready for a while.

Ed is right though, you will need to learn some (if not quite a lot) of PHP to build an interactive website. You'll probably want some javascript in there to slicken up the user experience as well.

Josh
10-25-2010, 11:38 AM
I had a feeling that was coming. :) ok i'll just do the rest of my pages and leave that section out if that's a better thing to do for now? until I get a better idea.

i'll probably be back with more questions shortly!

Thanks,

Josh

Corrosive
10-25-2010, 11:46 AM
It might be worth keeping one eye on some of the CMS/Framework options available out there. Such as Joomla & Drupal as you may find the functionality you need can be made easier using plug-ins etc created by other people. I'm sure that what you want must have been required by many other people before you!