PDA

View Full Version : Site Review/Comments

DWcourse
10-23-2010, 09:52 PM
I've been working on a new WordPress theme based on the Genesis Framework that i"m thinking of releasing (one way or another). I'd appreciate any comments and/or bug reports (state your browser please). The dev site is at http://genesisi.dwcourse.com/

Thanks in advance.

davidj
10-25-2010, 07:29 AM
FF 3.6.11

its clean but very templatey

no bugs detected

Corrosive
10-25-2010, 09:33 AM
I like it. It is clean and templately (as DJ says) but I guess that is the idea. You'll also be 'pleased' to hear that, apart from the couple of PNGs it displays well in IE6 :)

domedia
10-25-2010, 05:24 PM
What are the 'specs' on the template? (I'm not familiar with the Genesis framework)
I'm thinking plug-ins, features etc.

Also, are you doing this as part of your general marketing efforts? If so, I'd like to hear what you can share about this later :)

DWcourse
10-25-2010, 09:52 PM
What are the 'specs' on the template? (I'm not familiar with the Genesis framework)
I'm thinking plug-ins, features etc.

Dynamic Content Gallery is added as a plugin. The rest are standard Genesis plugins. Genesis is a WordPress framework similar to Thesis and Headway. It allows you to make certain design and SEO choices from the WordPress control panel. You customize it by creating a child theme with at least it's own CSS and functions file. You can add functions to "hooks" provided by the Genesis framework without having to edit the core WordPress or Genesis files. Of course you need to know a bit of php for that.

Also, are you doing this as part of your general marketing efforts? If so, I'd like to hear what you can share about this later :)

Yes, but I'm undecided about whether to give it away or sell it through another site such as themegarden.com. I'll let you know what I learn from the experience.

And, BTW, I just decided it wasn't worth the extra trouble to fix the transparency issue for IE6. I can't bring myself to give those folks a perfect page. :twisted:

domedia
10-26-2010, 05:05 PM
I just gave up IE6, completely. Have no idea how my stuff now looks in the browser, and don't really care. Being lazy has its benefits ;-)

Maybe you can do two themes, one free and the other one commercial.

d a v e
10-26-2010, 08:59 PM
you could use 8-bit pngs with full alpha transparency! that way with ie6 you get just a single level of transparency (like gif) so looks better than what you have now

see this page as example (might take a short while to load)
http://gekkoweb.com/stuff/seabreeze/br.html
(your screen shot just used as an example to show transparency against background)

you can save the pngs at the top - the left and right ones . if you want them ;)

DWcourse
10-27-2010, 02:38 AM
I may go with the 8-bit png with alpha transparency. It's probably worth that that small effort.

d a v e
10-27-2010, 05:35 AM
good man :)