PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Questions on my site...

kinghong1980
10-21-2010, 04:10 PM
firstly, hope this is the right section to post this...

the current website, www.kingofgreenestreet.com (http://www.kingofgreenestreet.com) is the temporary page until my project goes live...

www.kingofgreenestreet.com/index (http://www.kingofgreenestreet.com/index) is the new site i'm working on.
I'm sure that there's tons that can be improved...
but i got the itch and so i was playing around with uploading what i have on the website.

now here are the questions in RED...

home: yes the flash is messed up at front but i was too lazy to fix...

nav buttons: when i click on the navigation i show a red box outline... i get a feeling that this is set in the css external style sheet... but can't seem to figure out where... what line do i need to enter in CSS style sheet so the nav buttons does not outline in red or purple?

here is the style sheet attached to my index.html file.

btw, the buttons are png image files linked to the pages.

@charset "utf-8";
/* CSS Document */

body, p {
font:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
color:#FFF;
}

#box1 {
width:900px;
height:450px;
border:0;
margin:150px auto;
color:#FFF;
font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
text-align: center;
}

#footer {
background-position:center;
background-repeat:no-repeat;
width:900px;
height:280px;
margin:0 auto;
position:fixed;
bottom:0;
border:0;
}
footer: if i decrease the height of my browser, the footer overlaps the "body" section and the outline of the boxes of images are visible... i think i can take care of this by setting the background color of the footer section but is there a way so that the footer does not overlap the body section?

flash: the flash files for [home] [fashion gallery] are a mess... and when i first go to this site, it takes a bit to load up... seeing a white box in the meantime... am i correct in thinking it's because the files are too big? i did not resize the images yet as i'm still playing around with them...

[B][espresso bar]: this is where it gets tricky... i was hoping to somehow incorporate a menu to this... but still keep in the same layout as the rest of the page... but i think i'll need to think this over and perhaps have a different type of layout here...

[designers]: on this section, i need to have a scrolling text of all the designers we carry... again, i foresee a lesson in youtube...
hmm... how to ask... my previous site had a flash scrolling image of designers going up the page in a loop... i take it that then if anyone googles for a designer, say Trickers, and if it is a flash image, it will not lead them to my site, correct? is this where SEO comes in? again, sorry for being so vague.

[events]: well, this is later on... as i'm still gathering the materials needed...

[map]: is it "legal" for my site to link to google map search of the shop?

[contact]: seems pretty simple... just a list of info...

[facebook/kingofgreenestreet]: is it legal for us to use this link in our website?

web images: optimum size of images for web, 72dpi?

and when it's done, how can i set it so that when someone enters www.kingofgreenestreet.com (http://www.kingofgreenestreet.com), it will lead to my index page?

the current www.kingofgreenestreet.com (http://www.kingofgreenestreet.com) goes to default.html that is on my ftp.

thanks.

oh, finally, some input would be greatly appreciated... any and all comments are great! that's how we learn...

thanks!

oh, one last question: i get a feeling that my external css style sheet is not linked to the individual pages... now it seems no big deal to link em page by page... but i guess this is where setting templates would have saved me some redundancy?

thanks in advance...

domedia
10-21-2010, 04:47 PM
img {border: 0;}
The above CSS rule will remove borders around your images that are links.

You can pretty much link to whatever you like, there's no laws pertaining to links on web sites.

72 dpi should be perfect for the web.

kinghong1980
10-21-2010, 04:55 PM
thanks!

bit too amateurish... eh?

Rob_Che
10-21-2010, 07:05 PM
Flash takes some work to get it working with SEO. I don't think there are many (any?) Flash guys on here, there are tutorials online though about getting Flash to degrade gracefully to HTML. Personally? I would avoid flash and use jQuery for the effects you have.

Google map - absolutely, get it linked. Who's going to arrest you? :) If they do ask them what right they have to have millions of images of the general public stored on their server.

Forget about resolution of images - what you see is what you get. Measure the images in pixels width and height. That's how big they are. A screen is 72dpi, unlike a printer it can only display 72dpi so it's irrelevant (let's not get into mobile devices having larger dpi right now ;))

Re; getting your page to show - what page is currently being displayed? Odd that you are not being directed to index.html by default. Is it being redirected?

Rob

gentleone
10-21-2010, 07:10 PM
Odd that you are not being directed to index.html by default. Is it being redirected?

Good point and good question!

kinghong1980
10-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Flash takes some work to get it working with SEO. I don't think there are many (any?) Flash guys on here, there are tutorials online though about getting Flash to degrade gracefully to HTML. Personally? I would avoid flash and use jQuery for the effects you have.

Google map - absolutely, get it linked. Who's going to arrest you? :) If they do ask them what right they have to have millions of images of the general public stored on their server.

Forget about resolution of images - what you see is what you get. Measure the images in pixels width and height. That's how big they are. A screen is 72dpi, unlike a printer it can only display 72dpi so it's irrelevant (let's not get into mobile devices having larger dpi right now ;))

Re; getting your page to show - what page is currently being displayed? Odd that you are not being directed to index.html by default. Is it being redirected?

Rob

thank you...

the more i get into this... the higher the mountain seems to be...

but it shall not discourage me... lol...

as i am a complete nub at this, i honestly cannot give you an intelligent answer... i was thinking of renaming my file from index.html to default.html that seems to load up... but it is no way near ready for uploading.

hmm... jQuery... i foresee more online tutorials in my near future...

thank you for your responses...