PDA

View Full Version : Editing Prestashop

gsxr1000au
10-20-2010, 08:54 AM
I'm liking the idea of editing the e-commerce prestashop template but i cant find where to do so.

I have uploaded prestashop to my website here:
http://www.fluidelectrical.com.au/test/index.php

How do I go about editing the design in Dreamweaver?

edbr
10-20-2010, 08:59 AM
each theme has a css sheet , you can make modifications there

Corrosive
10-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Arm yourself with Firefox and developer tools for this job.

gsxr1000au
10-20-2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the speedy replies :)

Ok. I've got Firefox and Web Developer Tools 1.1.8

gentleone
10-20-2010, 09:24 AM
its a FF add-on

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/60/

gsxr1000au
10-20-2010, 09:27 AM
These tools will indeed be handy.

Getting to see all the hidden items that are behind a web page is neat.

gentleone
10-20-2010, 09:31 AM
Play around with it first... click some buttons and see what happens and if you don't understand it give a shout.

Corrosive
10-20-2010, 09:48 AM
When you've isntalled it you can use a button called 'View Style Information' (or something like that). This allows you to hover over elements of the design and you get a red box. Click and it tells you which styles in the stylesheet relate to that element. Change to suit.

gentleone
10-20-2010, 09:53 AM
These tools will indeed be handy.

Getting to see all the hidden items that are behind a web page is neat.

Take good care of it and handle it with love, because this add-on is a web designers best friend ;)

Here's another one that's a big must in your toolbox.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1843/

Corrosive
10-20-2010, 09:56 AM
Take good care of it and handle it with love, because this add-on is a web designers best friend ;)

I just could not work without them!

gsxr1000au
10-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Excellent. This in simply brilliant..

Now........

Is it possible to edit pages in Dreamweaver and view the design changes in live view as I do so?

I cant seem to manage to get this happening.

If I open the index.php file in DW there is no design view. I have an i tag saying 'This page may have dynamically-related files that can only be discovered by the server' if I click "discover" it comes up with 'Dynamically-related files could not be resolved because site definition is not corrent for this server'

I have the server setup to point to the root directory of my web page.

gentleone
10-20-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm not sure if this will work for live view, but normally you need to install a back-end server environment on your local machine for this.
http://www.dreamweaverclub.com/vtm/wamp-dw.php
And copy all the prestashop files from your server to your local machine.

99 out of 100 dynamic templates you can't edit in design view.

gsxr1000au
10-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Thanks for all your help :)

I have that all set up now.. I'll see how I go :)

Don't be surprised if i'm back here asking more questions soon though..

Corrosive
10-20-2010, 11:27 AM
Don't be surprised if i'm back here asking more questions soon though..

Feel free :)

gsxr1000au
10-21-2010, 01:35 AM
Ok..

I can use the 'View Style Information' feature to locate the correct area to modify the style CSS's etc.

Now how am I able to find where the content is located so I can edit that?

For example. Lets say I want to change the text content (In the middle of the page). The 'View Style Info' shows me the related CSS but not where the actual content is located.

If I open the page in DW its not visible in design view.

Corrosive
10-21-2010, 06:59 AM
The content is all changed using the tab 'tools' and then the CMS options in the back end. It isn't in the code itself it is database generated by Prestashop.

gsxr1000au
10-21-2010, 07:33 AM
I thought that would be the case but I cant find anywhere where to edit the text that is in the centre.. I'll look some more.

Corrosive
10-21-2010, 07:36 AM
Off the Prestashop forum;

You need to go to your modules page in your admin area find the home text editor module and click where it says “configure”. This will then bring up a page with the homepage logo and the text boxes for you to edit.

gsxr1000au
10-21-2010, 03:12 PM
Thought i'd call back and say that i'm absolutely loving Prestashop..

Thanks for the pointers everyone, especially Corrosive - your a legend mate..

Corrosive
10-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Yeah, Prestashop is my top pick for e-comm and it keeps getting better. If you ever need a good CMS then ModX is also a weapon of choice.

You are welcome for the pointers mate. Come over whenever you need any help. Oh, and maybe you can help some others in time too :)

gsxr1000au
10-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Hey Corrosive or any others.

I have been looking for the option to an additional product info tab individually to each product. Similar to the existing 'More Info' (linked to the database) tab which i want to use for product specifications.

Are you aware of any modules that do this or have any code that I can modify to implement this?

Corrosive
10-23-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm sure it can be done but I can't think how off the top of my head. Would seriously suggest you join the Prestashop forum. A LOT of the questions you will have are answered there.

gsxr1000au
10-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Yeah I already am on the forums and have searched there.

There is one solution i have found but it's quite an old topic and not sure it's reliable (quite a few people having issues with the coding).. There seems to be a lot of people asking the same question but no one answering with anything definate.

Just thought i'd check with you guys to see if you've done anything of the like..

Corrosive
10-23-2010, 05:13 PM
I'm sure that one of the core modules that ship with it does what you need but I don't have a copy I can dive into right now. Bit rude to go poking round customer's sites ;)

gsxr1000au
10-24-2010, 02:07 PM
I cant find it..

gentleone
10-24-2010, 07:28 PM
If you decide to do a (client)project with a ready made e-commerce solution like Prestashop, you must be aware of the limitations that comes with this decision. It's not like that for every idea you have there is a module for it.

The best route is to know exactly what your client want with his/her web shop and then find out if this is can be realized with a ready made e-commerce solution (and its modules/plugins) or that there has to be made a web shop from scratch that suits perfectly the clients needs and requirements.