PDA

View Full Version : Problem aligning paypal buttons in a table

jacksparrow
10-20-2010, 07:17 AM
www.dancefreak.com/haircareline/haircareline.htm (http://www.dancefreak.com/haircareline/haircareline.htm)

Rows 4 and 5 are all lined up perfectly in Dreamweaver CS3.

Yet when viewed in I.E. There is a large space gap below the buttons and the third column / row 4 The button is to the left.

I can't find why this is happening.

Corrosive
10-20-2010, 07:27 AM
Don't use tables for layout, use divs.

jacksparrow
10-20-2010, 07:33 AM
The client insisted on fixed tables......no choice

Corrosive
10-20-2010, 07:39 AM
Then they'll have a wonky site.

jacksparrow
10-20-2010, 11:39 PM
There has to be a fix for the table problems

blake
10-21-2010, 12:23 AM
Do you have a live site or screenshot of the problem?
oh ok, i see it now on your post lol.

blake
10-21-2010, 01:06 AM
Ok, I looked at it in several browsers. Visually I see some things that can be corrected, one is you could use smaller Paypal buttons and another is the size of the tables. I manage quite a few sites with tables and Papal buttons but I do them in Expression Web.
I never build a site with everything on the left siide of the page either, always in the center and I've found out for me personally that tables are easier for me to manage if the site is built in the center of the page and I hear a lot of complaints about sites on the left side of the page with the new wider monitors.
I'll drop some Paypal buttons in some tables in cs3 and see what I get.

jacksparrow
10-21-2010, 09:03 AM
I did build this table in the center of the page.
I tried to get smaller paypal buttons and had a problem with the coding since it wanted to get them offsite.
I set all the cells the same width--that is why this is strange.
Maybe if I change the doctype to HTML?

Bill Pitts
10-24-2010, 04:53 AM
Jack,
I would recommend that you learn as much as you can about using CSS. Try Davis Sawyer McFarland's excellent book "CSS: The Missing Manual" for starters. Andy Budd's book "CSS Mastery" is also a good addition to anyone's reference library. Both books are well written and easy to understand (for the most part).

Once you get a feel for CSS, you'll want to write an external style sheet for all of your pages and abandon the use of internal style sheets (except in the case of page-specific styles). This will allow you consistency between all of your pages and more control over their appearance. AND it's easier to change the overall appearance of your site with one external style sheet rather than having to alter the internal style sheet on each page.

When writing your style sheet, make sure that your selectors mean something to you. Don't let Dreamweaver do the naming or you wind up with a bunch of meaningless selectors, like .style54, .style55, etc.

This is just the tip of the web design iceberg. There's a lot out there to learn (if I may highlight the obvious). Just keep this in mind if you are serious about being a web designer, you will NEVER stop learning.

Remember: HTML is for content and CSS is for appearance.

Bill

jacksparrow
10-25-2010, 03:56 PM
I would have used external if the sites were new. But they were built in Expression Web.

Bill Pitts
10-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Although this page was originally built in Expression Web, you have access to the HTML code in Dreamweaver, where you can attach external style sheets quite easily.

Bill